synergix Messages 177 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Feb 13, 2009 #1 Homework Statement tan^2x + cos2x =1 - cos2xtan^2x Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution I have not really gotten anywhere.
Homework Statement tan^2x + cos2x =1 - cos2xtan^2x Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution I have not really gotten anywhere.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Feb 13, 2009 #2 Use cos(2x)=cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2 and tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x) to turn everything into sines and cosines. Then clear out the denominators and start rearranging things.
Use cos(2x)=cos(x)^2-sin(x)^2 and tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x) to turn everything into sines and cosines. Then clear out the denominators and start rearranging things.
synergix Messages 177 Reaction score 0 Feb 13, 2009 #3 I have gotten it to (sin(x)^2/cos(x)^2) + (cos(x)^2- sin(x)^2) = 1- (cos (x)^2 - sin(x)^2)(sin(x)^2/cos(x)^2) not sure how to proceed
I have gotten it to (sin(x)^2/cos(x)^2) + (cos(x)^2- sin(x)^2) = 1- (cos (x)^2 - sin(x)^2)(sin(x)^2/cos(x)^2) not sure how to proceed
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Feb 13, 2009 #4 Good so far. Multiply out the right side and multiply both sides by cos(x)^2 to clear out the fractions. Does anything cancel? Rearrange what's left.
Good so far. Multiply out the right side and multiply both sides by cos(x)^2 to clear out the fractions. Does anything cancel? Rearrange what's left.
synergix Messages 177 Reaction score 0 Feb 13, 2009 #5 Its just not happenin for me right now I have it at sin(x)^2 cos(x)^2(cos(x)^2 - sin(x)^2) = cos(x)^2 - (cos(x)^2- sin(x)^2) sin(x)^2
Its just not happenin for me right now I have it at sin(x)^2 cos(x)^2(cos(x)^2 - sin(x)^2) = cos(x)^2 - (cos(x)^2- sin(x)^2) sin(x)^2
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Feb 13, 2009 #7 Just keep going. Multiply out the terms with parentheses.