What is the solution to ∫x^2(x+1)^1/2 for x=0 x=3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimbo57
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Jimbo57
Messages
96
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Integrate x^2(x+1)^1/2 for x=0 x=3

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I start with substitution u=x+1
and du=dx

I have no clue where to go from here. How do I take care of that x^2?

This looks like it would be simple but it's giving me a hell of a time.

Jim
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement



Integrate x^2(x+1)^1/2 for x=0 x=3

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I start with substitution u=x+1
and du=dx

I have no clue where to go from here. How do I take care of that x^2?

This looks like it would be simple but it's giving me a hell of a time.

Jim
That substitution, u=x+1, should work fine, and allow you to complete the integration.

What do you get for the integrand when you use that substitution?
 
Looking through my textbook I realized that we already solved this one as an indefinite integral... kind of embarrassing.

Dealing with the x^2 was the hardest, but the integrand is:

u=x+1
du=dx
x^2=(u-1)^2 <---- Much easier looking at it now.

∫(u-1)^2u^1/2du

Thanks for the help as always!