What is the solvability condition for the matrix equation A_1x_2 = A_2x_1?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
9,621
Reaction score
9
I have a quick question regarding matrix equations. Usually, I would look this up but unfortunately I'm away from the office and library and it can't wait until I get back.

Let [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex] be [itex]n\times n[/itex] square matrices with real elements and let [itex]\boldsymbol{x}_1\;,\boldsymbol{x}_2\in\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. Further, let [itex]A_1 \boldsymbol{x}_1 = \boldsymbol{0}[/itex]. What is the solvability condition for the following system?

[tex]A_1\boldsymbol{x}_2 = A_2\boldsymbol{x}_1[/tex]

The result would suggest [itex]\boldsymbol{x}_1^\text{T}A_2\boldsymbol{x}_1 = 0[/itex], but I'm clearly missing something. I fairly certain its something minor that I just can't see.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can any of the x_{i} or A_{i} be inverted? (i.e., do you know anything about their determinants?)
 
kdbnlin78 said:
Can any of the x_{i} or A_{i} be inverted? (i.e., do you know anything about their determinants?)
[itex]\boldsymbol{x}_i[/itex] are vectors in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], and [itex]A_i[/itex] are singular in general.
 
Apologies, can now see the x_{i} are vectors. I'm at work and scanning articles when no-one is looking.

I your reasoning has lead to to conclude that /boldsymbol{x_{1}^T}A_{1} = /boldsymbol{0} - How do you know this?
 
kdbnlin78 said:
Apologies, can now see the x_{i} are vectors. I'm at work and scanning articles when no-one is looking.

I your reasoning has lead to to conclude that /boldsymbol{x_{1}^T}A_{1} = /boldsymbol{0} - How do you know this?
No problem :)

I'm tracing back a result and I've found that the result would only hold if the above relation is true.

I only asked because I assumed that solvability condition for an equation of the forum that I posted in my original post would be fairly well known, or at least established.
 
Is your matrix symmetric by any chance?? In that case we have that

The thing is that

[tex]A_1x_2=A_2x_1[/tex]

has a solution if and only if [itex]A_2x_1\in im(A_1)[/tex].<br /> But we know that [itex]im(A_1)=ker(A_1^T)^\bot[/itex].<br /> So the system has a solution if and only if [itex]A_2x_1\in ker(A_1^T)^\bot=ker(A_1)^\bot[/itex].<br /> <br /> So it must hold that [itex]x_1^TA_1x_1=0[/itex]. I fear that this is not a sufficient condition in general...[/itex]
 
micromass said:
Is your matrix symmetric by any chance?? In that case we have that

The thing is that

[tex]A_1x_2=A_2x_1[/tex]

has a solution if and only if [itex]A_2x_1\in im(A_1)[/tex].<br /> But we know that [itex]im(A_1)=ker(A_1^T)^\bot[/itex].<br /> So the system has a solution if and only if [itex]A_2x_1\in ker(A_1^T)^\bot=ker(A_1)^\bot[/itex].<br /> <br /> So it must hold that [itex]x_1^TA_1x_1=0[/itex]. I fear that this is not a sufficient condition in general...[/itex]
[itex] That was my first thought as well. Alas, there are no symmetry conditions on the matrices [itex]A_i[/itex].[/itex]