What is the specific gravity of the disk?

In summary, a cylindrical disk with a volume of 8.97 x 10^-3 m^3 and a mass of 8.16 kg is floating on water with its flat surfaces horizontal. The specific gravity of the disk is .9097 and its density is 909.70 kg/m^3. The bottom surface is 0.01275 m below the water level, and the top surface is 0.001266 m above the water level. The volume not submerged (above water) is 8.1 x 10^-4 m^3.
sona1177

Homework Statement

A cylindrical disk has volume 8.97 x 10^-3 m^3 and mass 8.16 kg. The disk is floating on the surface on some water with its flat surfaces horizontal. The area of each flat surface is .640 m^2. What is the specific gravity of the disk? How far below the water level is its bottom surface? How far above the water level is its top surface?

I know that the S.G. is .9097, and the density is 909.70 kg/m^3. So Vsubmerged = (Density of disk x Volume of disk)/density of fluid.

I got a value of .00816 m^3.

Then from Vsubmerged=Area x depth under water =.00816/.640=.01275 m

The last question is the one I am unsure about.

I subtracted the value of the object from V submerged to get 8.1 x 10^-4 for the volume not submerged (above water) and got 8.1 x 10^-4. So then V =Ad and V/A= 8.1 10^-4/.640=.01266 m.

I am not sure that I did the last part correctly, can you please tell me if I took the right approach?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I agree with your answers until the last part, where you say 0.00816/.64 = 0.01266 m

I think you've just missed a zero, so it would be 0.001266 m

Check it by adding the two depths and multiplying by the base area to give the original volume.

Sleve123 said:
I agree with your answers until the last part, where you say 0.00816/.64 = 0.01266 m

Thanks!

1. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance, usually water at a specified temperature and pressure. It is a unitless quantity that is used to compare the density of different materials.

2. How is specific gravity of a disk determined?

The specific gravity of a disk can be determined by measuring its mass and volume, and then dividing the mass by the volume. This can be done using a scale to measure the mass and a ruler or caliper to measure the dimensions of the disk. The specific gravity can also be calculated by comparing the density of the disk to the density of water.

3. Why is specific gravity important for disks?

Specific gravity is important for disks because it can help determine the buoyancy and stability of the disks in different fluids. It can also provide information about the composition and purity of the disk material.

4. What factors can affect the specific gravity of a disk?

The specific gravity of a disk can be affected by various factors such as the composition and density of the disk material, the pressure and temperature of the environment, and the presence of any air pockets or impurities within the disk.

5. How is specific gravity of a disk used in practical applications?

The specific gravity of a disk is used in various practical applications, such as in the manufacturing of materials, determining the quality and purity of substances, and in industries such as aerospace and marine engineering where buoyancy and stability are important considerations.