What is the speed of a box pulled by a tension force after a given time?

  • Thread starter Thread starter quickclick330
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Mass Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
quickclick330
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



4. A box of mass M=10 kg is at rest on a frictionless level surface (like an ideally smooth
ice rink). A rope tied to the box is pulled horizontally, such that the tension in the rope is
(vector-->)T = 75 ˆx + 25 ˆz N, where both the x-axis and the z-axis are parallel to the floor. What is
the speed of the box after 0.05 seconds?
1. 0.395 m/s
2. 0.264 m/s
3. 0.198 m/s
4. 0.158 m/s
5. 0.132 m/s
6. 0.000 m/s



Homework Equations



pf = pi +Fnet*dt

The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to solve this problem, I'm just having trouble when it comes to the vectors in this case.

Pf = pi + Fnet*dt
{pi = 0) so..

Pf = Fnet*dt

p = mv

mvf = Fnet* dt

vf = (Fnet *dt)/m

But I'm stuck on the vectors...please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand your notation... Can you explain them?

This question is quite fundamental... Since the force is given in vector form, you must first find the magnitude of the force. It should be clear where you should be heading to afterwards.