What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for a box pulled by a 10N force?

  • Thread starter Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
future_vet
Messages
169
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.0 kg box is pulled along a horizontal plank by a 10N force parallel to the direction of motion. The rate of acceleration is 0.50 m/s^2. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

I think we use the formula: coefficient of friction = F (so 10) / N.
But I am not sure how to use the acceleration and the N variable.


Homework Equations


F - μk mg = ma
10 - 2(9.8)μk = 2 x 0.5

Would this be the correct way to go?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
future_vet said:

Homework Statement


A 2.0 kg box is pulled along a horizontal plank by a 10N force parallel to the direction of motion. The rate of acceleration is 0.50 m/s^2. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

I think we use the formula: coefficient of friction = F (so 10) / N.
But I am not sure how to use the acceleration and the N variable.


Homework Equations


F - μk mg = ma
10 - 2(9.8)μk = 2 x 0.5

Would this be the correct way to go?

Thanks!
Yes, but it contradicts what you said in the problem statement.
 
Yes, so I use the second equation? Is the data correctly plugged in?
 
future_vet said:
Yes, so I use the second equation? Is the data correctly plugged in?

Yes it is.
 
I am getting -0.005 as the answer... does it sound right? Where should the acceleration be used?

Thanks for all the help! :)
 
future_vet said:
I am getting -0.005 as the answer... does it sound right? Where should the acceleration be used?

Thanks for all the help! :)
you have the correct equation, with the given acceleration entered correctly, but your math is off.
[tex]10 -19.6\mu_k = 2(.5) = 1[/tex]
[tex]-19.6\mu_k = -9[/tex]
[tex]\mu_k = ?[/tex]