What is the speed of sound in oxygen? 21.50mastering physics

In summary, Adolph Kundt developed a technique in 1866 for measuring the speed of sound in different gases using a long glass tube with a vibrating piston and cork particles. By moving the piston slowly and observing the positions where the cork particles collect, the speed of sound can be accurately calculated. The equation for this is frequency = mv/(2L), where m is the number of nodes in the tube. In this particular experiment, the tube is filled with pure oxygen and the piston is driven at 400 Hz. The cork particles collect at the nodes, which are spaced at 123/3 = 41 cm intervals. The correct answer for the speed of sound was found to be 328 m/s, indicating that there are three
Second_addition

Homework Statement

___ In 1866, the German scientist Adolph Kundt developed a technique for accurately measuring the speed of sound in various gases. A long glass tube, known today as a Kundt's tube, has a vibrating piston at one end and is closed at the other. Very finely ground particles of cork are sprinkled in the bottom of the tube before the piston is inserted. As the vibrating piston is slowly moved forward, there are a few positions that cause the cork particles to collect in small, regularly spaced piles along the bottom. The figure shows an experiment in which the tube is filled with pure oxygen and the piston is driven at 400 Hz.
(Figure 1)
https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1383985/3/21.P50.jpg

2. Homework Equations
I think the equation is frequency = mv/(2L) m is number of [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my problem is happening in figuring out m and wether this is a closed-closed open open or open closed column of air.
re- arranging to find v makes (400Hz*2*1.23M)/(?mode) I tried counting spaces between the 6 corks so 5 space 196.8 for some reason when m is three it is the correct answer I'm not sure why 328 m/s worked 3 amount of cork spots decided by two? any thoughts[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Second_addition said:

Homework Statement

___ In 1866, the German scientist Adolph Kundt developed a technique for accurately measuring the speed of sound in various gases. A long glass tube, known today as a Kundt's tube, has a vibrating piston at one end and is closed at the other. Very finely ground particles of cork are sprinkled in the bottom of the tube before the piston is inserted. As the vibrating piston is slowly moved forward, there are a few positions that cause the cork particles to collect in small, regularly spaced piles along the bottom. The figure shows an experiment in which the tube is filled with pure oxygen and the piston is driven at 400 Hz.
(Figure 1)
https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1383985/3/21.P50.jpg

2. Homework Equations
I think the equation is frequency = mv/(2L) m is number of [/B]

m is the number of what?

Second_addition said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my problem is happening in figuring out m and wether this is a closed-closed open open or open closed column of air.[/B]

which one? is it a node or antinode at the vibrating piston?

A standing wave forms in the tube.
The cork lies at the position of the nodes.

Likes Second_addition
andrevdh said:
A standing wave forms in the tube.
The cork lies at the position of the nodes.
123cm corresponds to a node separation of 123/3 = 41 (cm) .

21.P50.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is the speed of sound in oxygen?

The speed of sound in oxygen is approximately 317 meters per second, or 1,104 feet per second, at room temperature and standard atmospheric pressure.

2. How does the speed of sound in oxygen compare to other gases?

The speed of sound in oxygen is similar to other gases such as nitrogen and hydrogen. However, it is slightly lower than the speed of sound in air, which is primarily composed of nitrogen and oxygen.

3. Does the speed of sound in oxygen change with temperature?

Yes, the speed of sound in oxygen increases as the temperature increases. This is due to the increase in molecular motion and collisions, which allows sound waves to travel faster.

4. How is the speed of sound in oxygen measured?

The speed of sound in oxygen can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the time-of-flight method, where the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance is measured, or the resonance method, where the natural frequency of a gas-filled pipe is measured.

5. Why is it important to know the speed of sound in oxygen?

Knowing the speed of sound in oxygen is important for various scientific and industrial applications. It can help in the design and operation of aircraft and spacecraft, as well as in medical procedures such as ultrasound imaging. It also plays a role in understanding the properties of gas mixtures and their behavior in different environments.