1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what slide extensions will trombone produce max sound intensity?

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1

ppy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 285Hz sound wave is directed into one end of a trombone slide A microphone is placed at the other end to record the intensity of sound waves that are transmitted through the tube. The straight sides of the slide are 80cm in length and 10cm apart with a semicircular bend at the end

For what slide extensions will the microphone detect a maximum of sound intensity?
    express your answer using two significant figures. If there is more than one answer, enter your answers in ascending order separated by commas.

2. Relevant equations
    maybe the equations for an open closed tube i think.

wavelength at specific mode= 4L/m
    m=mode L= length

also V=frequency x wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution

L= 0.8m +0.05pi+ 0.8m (The 0.05pi is half the circumference to find the length of the semicircle)

Please i really want to understand this question but dont no where to go? Is a trombone an open closed tube?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, ppy and welcome to PF!

Looks like you calculated the unextended length, L, of the trombone slide correctly :smile:

When the slide is "extended" it means that a certain extra length, x, is added to each of the straight sides. You need to find values of x that will produce maximum sound intensity at the microphone.

I think you want to treat the slide tube as open at both ends.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  4. Dec 2, 2012 #3

ppy

can i have a detailed solution

5. Dec 2, 2012 #4

Rob D

Gold Member

As a very long time trombone player, I can say that I have never perceived any difference in heard volume from closed slide to fully extended using even airflow and at various harmonic levels. I think that you will find that the more excellent the quality of the instrument, the less difference there will be. I do not make trombones but I imagine that evenness across the slide positions would be something that they work to attain.

All I Know,
    Rob

6. Dec 2, 2012 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Our goal here is not to provide worked out solutions, but rather to help you get over the spots where you are stuck :smile:.

You've studied standing sound waves in a tube. Do you recall the condition that the length of the tube and the wavelength must satisfy in order to have a standing wave in a tube that is open at both ends?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. Dec 2, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never played a trombone. I would guess, though, that as you extend the slide you also change the vibration frequency of your lips to maintain a resonant condition. I could be wrong.

Here we are assuming that we always put in the same frequency as we extend the slide. So, only certain positions of the slide would produce resonance. This is just an academic exercise that doesn't really correspond to playing the instrument.

8. Dec 2, 2012 #7

ppy

hey thanks alot guys i was able to complete the question and get the correct answer. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook