What Is the Speed, Period, and Wavelength of This Transverse Wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
scienceman2k9
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Problem:

The equation of a certain traveling transverse wave is
y(x,t)=4.00sin(81.0(pi)t - 1.590(pi)x) where t is in seconds and x and y are in cenimeters. Find the speed of propagation, the period and the wavelength for these waves (express you answer in units of m/s)

So, I know A (amplitude) is 4.00cm...0.04m and the angular frequency is 81.0pi rad/s and k=1.590pi . To find the speed of propagation i divided angular frequency by k and got 50.94, but i don't know if that cm/s or not since the whole equation is based in cm. I can find the other values too, but I am not sure if I need to convert my answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
scienceman2k9 said:
Problem:

The equation of a certain traveling transverse wave is
y(x,t)=4.00sin(81.0(pi)t - 1.590(pi)x) where t is in seconds and x and y are in cenimeters. Find the speed of propagation, the period and the wavelength for these waves (express you answer in units of m/s)

So, I know A (amplitude) is 4.00cm...0.04m and the angular frequency is 81.0pi rad/s and k=1.590pi . To find the speed of propagation i divided angular frequency by k and got 50.94, but i don't know if that cm/s or not since the whole equation is based in cm. I can find the other values too, but I am not sure if I need to convert my answers.
Convert distances to metres and rewrite the equation:

[tex]y(x,t)=4.00\sin{81.0\pi t} - (1.590\pi)(100x)[/tex]

[itex]k = 159\pi m^{-1}[/itex] Speed of the wave is [itex]\omega/k[/itex] in [itex]sec^{-1}/m^{-1} =\text{m/sec.}[/itex]
AM
 
Last edited:
I got:

v= 0.509 m/s (omega/k)

T= 0.0247 s (1/f = 2pi/omega)

wavlength= 0.0126 m (2pi/k)