Transverse Wave Velocity/Acceleration

In summary: It's just the rounding that's causing the problem. I see that you're using Wolfram Alpha for your calculations. You could try entering all the numbers without rounding them, and see what you get. You'll need to use the * symbol for multiplication, and put the numbers in parentheses. For example, instead of using 0.08, you could use (2/25).@ChestermillerI was plugging in the equations as is with the numbers in terms of their formulas (ie v = √(T/μ)), so the numbers were never rounded. The numbers were only rounded when I calculated them (ie T/μ = 1125/0.08 = 14062
sbuzsaki

Homework Statement

The left-hand end of a long horizontal stretched cord oscillates transversely in SHM with frequency 270 Hz and amplitude 2.4 cm . The cord is under a tension of 90 N and has a linear density 0.08 kg/m . At t=0, the end of the cord has an upward displacement of 2.1 cm and is falling. Consider the point x = 1.30 m on the cord.
(solved A and B)
C. What is its velocity at t = 2.2 s ?
D. What is its acceleration at t = 2.2 s ?

Homework Equations

wave velocity v = √(T / μ)
wavelength λ = v/f
wave number k = 2π/λ
ω= 2πf
D(x,t) = Asin( kx - ωt + ∅) for transverse wave traveling to the right
Velocity = -Aωcos(kx - ωt + ∅)
Acceleration = -Aω*ωsin( kx - ωt + ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

v = √(T / μ) = √(90/0.08) = 33.54 m/s (rounds to 34 m/s)
λ = v/f = 33.541/ 270 = 0.1242 m
k = 2π/λ = 2π/0.1242 = 50.578 1/m (rounds to 51 1/m)
ω= 2πf = 2π*270 = 1696 1/s (rounds to 1700 1/s)

Plugging things in, D(x,t) = 0.024 sin(51x -1700t + ∅)

(Therefore, part A max velocity is Aω = 0.024 m * 1700 1/s = 40.8 m/s (rounds to 41 m/s)
(Therefore, part B max acceleration is Aω*ω = 0.024*1700*1700 = 69360 m/s^2 (rounds 6.9 *10^4 m/s^2 )

At time t=0, amplitude is 0.021 m, so 0.021 = 0.024 sin(∅), ∅ = 1.06

Full equation: D(x,t) = 0.024 sin(51x -1700t + 1.06)
Velocity (1.30 m, 2.2 s) = -0.024*1700 cos(51*1.3 - 1700(2.2) + 1.06) = 40 m/s
Acceleration (1.30 m, 2.2 s) = -0.024*1700*1700 sin(51*1.3 - 1700(2.2) + 1.06)

Mastering physics says this is wrong (I also tried 41 m/s, thinking maybe there were rounding errors). Given that I got parts A and B correct, I can assume my A and ω are correct, but I can't find anything wrong with my k or ∅. The units work, it's a reasonable order of magnitude given the derived max velocity. I tried entering the equations with the values in terms of their formulas in wolfram alpha, and still wrong! I can't figure out what's wrong! I haven't tried entering my acceleration because my velocity is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Looks like you plugged in x = 1.03 m instead of 1.30 m.

I wish! That's actually just an error in transcribing my work... Edited now, thanks

With x = 1.30 m I do not get your answer for v.

TSny said:
With x = 1.30 m I do not get your answer for v.

Yeah, that's where the 40.5 m/s (rounded to 41 m/s) comes in, using wolfram alpha. Are you getting something other than that?

It does seem to be differences in rounding the numbers. If I keep several extra digits in k, ω, and Φ, I get v to be about 27 m/s. It's peculiar that rounding makes this much difference.

Likes sbuzsaki
TSny said:
It does seem to be differences in rounding the numbers. If I keep several extra digits in k, ω, and Φ, I get v to be about 27 m/s. It's peculiar that rounding makes this much difference.

Well that does seem to be the correct answer. How bizarre. Thanks much! Could I ask how many you kept, such that acceleration will be correct?

I let Mathematica do the calculations. It keeps quite a lot of digits! But it looks like things settle down if you keep about 6 digits.

TSny said:
I let Mathematica do the calculations. It keeps quite a lot of digits! But it looks like things settle down if you keep about 6 digits.

Thank you very much! All correct now. At least my theory was right, I guess...

It seems the peculiar behavior is due to the fact that for t = 2.2 s and x = 1.3 m, the argument of the cosine function for the velocity is quite large, about 3665 radians. A 0.1 % change in this argument amounts to almost 4 radians. Thus, the cosine will change a lot with just a small percent change in the argument.

sbuzsaki said:
At least my theory was right, I guess...
Yes, your work looks good.

1. What is transverse wave velocity?

Transverse wave velocity is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium in a perpendicular direction to the wave's oscillations. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is transverse wave velocity calculated?

Transverse wave velocity is calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. This can also be represented by multiplying the frequency of the wave by the wavelength.

3. What factors affect transverse wave velocity?

The factors that affect transverse wave velocity include the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, such as density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How does transverse wave velocity relate to acceleration?

Transverse wave velocity and acceleration are related through the wave's frequency and wavelength. As the frequency or wavelength of a wave increases, the corresponding velocity and acceleration also increase.

5. Why is transverse wave velocity important in scientific research?

Transverse wave velocity is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how waves behave and interact with different mediums. It is also essential in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and optics for analyzing and predicting wave behavior.