What is the Starter tag in my Avatar?

• Thread starter vmr101
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been using the PF forums for a few years and recently noticed an upgrade. They also noticed a "Starter" tag on their avatar and asked for clarification. They have now upgraded to a gold membership to show support and have learned that the "Starter" tag identifies them as the original poster of a thread. Others have also been confused by this term and suggest using "OP" instead.
vmr101
Gold Member
I have used the PF forums on and off for the past few years. I logged in a little while back and noticed it upgraded.
I also noticed I have a Starter tag across my avatar? What is it?

Also I just upgraded to gold membership to show my support, as the forum has been very helpful through my part times studies.

Likes mfig
Physics news on Phys.org
It identifies you as the starter of this thread.

Oh that makes sense. I feel silly not realising that :O

Thanks !

A few people have been confused by this, myself included. I think the feature isn't really that useful if no one understands what it means... maybe "starter" isn't the right word. Internet jargon generally calls such people OPs, for "Original Poster".

Likes russ_watters
I agree with you dipole, OP i would have understood. Starter made me think my account was low on posts or part of the starting community / members from years ago.
I had only posted in my own threads so always saw it on my avatar.

1. What is the purpose of the Starter tag in my Avatar?

The Starter tag in your Avatar indicates that you are new to the platform or community. It helps other members recognize and welcome new users.

2. Can I change the Starter tag in my Avatar?

Yes, you can change the Starter tag in your Avatar by updating your profile settings. However, it is recommended to keep the tag until you become more familiar with the platform or community.

3. How is the Starter tag determined for my Avatar?

The Starter tag is usually automatically assigned to new users by the platform or community. It may also be based on the date of account creation or your activity level.

4. Can I remove the Starter tag from my Avatar?

Some platforms or communities allow users to remove the Starter tag from their Avatar. However, it is not recommended as it helps identify new users and encourages others to engage with them.

5. Is the Starter tag only for beginners or new users?

The Starter tag is primarily for new users, but it may also be used for those who are new to a specific feature, group, or topic within the platform or community.