What is the tallest straw that you could, in principle, drink from

• Thread starter ruffkilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the tallest straw that you could drink from in this way would be 10 meters, based on rounding gravity to 10 m/s^2 and the pressure at the top of the straw being 0 Pa. The vacuum created by sucking your cheeks in creates a pressure imbalance that allows the water to be pushed up the straw by atmospheric pressure. The equation for this is P1 + rough (g) (h1) = P2 + rough (g) (h2), with P1 being 0 and h1 being 0. This results in a maximum height of 10 meters for the water.
ruffkilla
As a stunt, you want to sip some water through a very long, vertical straw. what is the tallest straw that you could, in principle, drink from in this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you think?

well i know the answer is 10 m if you round gravity to 10 m/s^2. i also know that the pressure on the top of the straw is 0 Pa. but besides that i have no clue, that's why I am asking it.

When you sip through a straw, what pushes the water up the straw?

the vacuum created by sucking your cheeks in.
i came up with this solution.
P1 + rough (g) (h1) = P2 + rough (g) (h2)
P1=0, h1=0
so P2 = rough (g)(h2)
1 atm= 1000(10)(h2)
1.01 EE5=1.0EE4(h2)
h2= 10 m

but I am not sure.

Looks like you've got it. It's atmospheric pressure that pushes the water up the straw. The maximum height of water that can be supported by the air will be found by setting the water pressure ([itex]\rho g h[/itex]) equal to atmospheric pressure.

1. What is the tallest straw that you could, in principle, drink from?

The tallest straw that you could, in principle, drink from is around 10 meters long. This is assuming that the straw is completely straight and you are able to create enough suction to pull the liquid up the entire length of the straw.

2. Is there a limit to how tall a straw can be for drinking?

Yes, there is a limit to how tall a straw can be for drinking. As the straw gets longer, the weight of the liquid in the straw increases, making it more difficult to create enough suction to pull the liquid up the entire length of the straw. Additionally, the weight of the liquid can cause the straw to collapse under its own weight.

3. Can you drink from a straw that is taller than 10 meters?

In theory, it is possible to drink from a straw that is taller than 10 meters. However, it would require a significant amount of suction and the straw would need to be very sturdy to withstand the weight of the liquid. It would also be difficult to find a container tall enough to hold the liquid for the straw to draw from.

4. How does the diameter of the straw affect its height for drinking?

The diameter of the straw does not have a significant impact on the height of the straw for drinking. As long as the straw is wide enough to allow the liquid to flow, the height of the straw is primarily determined by its length and the strength of the suction used to draw the liquid up the straw.

5. Can you drink from a straw that is curved instead of straight?

Yes, you can drink from a straw that is curved instead of straight. In fact, many commercially available straws are already curved for easier use. However, the curvature of the straw does not significantly affect the maximum height for drinking. The main factors affecting the maximum height are the length and diameter of the straw, as well as the strength of the suction used.