What is the solution to the straw paradox?

In summary, the problem with understanding how a straw works is that there is a potential loophole in the principle of working of a barometer. Mercury can lie inside a straw 100 cm long, and the column of mercury will only rise to 76 cm.
Ansuman
1.The problem I have been facing is understanding how a straw exactly works ?? I know the general, conventional solution given to this problem by the principle of working of a barometer, but I think it has a serious loophole.

3.They say as a vacuum space is created in the straw due to our breathing actions, hence an extra amount of fluid is required to fill that space up so that the pressure exerted by the fluid given by the equation of {h*density of fluid*acc. due to gravity}, is equal to the atmospheric pressure and the whole condition is in accordance to Pascal's law. But if Mercury lies inside the container and I have a straw some 100 cm long, then will the mercury column rise and stop at 76 cm only, and not above that ?

Infact any liquid will do same, as its density is less than air density, a lesser height of the column of liquid will be required to provide same amount of pressure, so practically, every liquid should rise only a fraction of height of straw. Please explain ??

Any kind of help is appreciated.Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing the effects of gauge pressure and absolute pressure.

Doug Huffman said:
You are confusing the effects of gauge pressure and absolute pressure.
m simply sayin, if in barometer, the height of liquid column produces same effect ( which is just the gauge pressure, for there is vacuum above the rest of the barometric tube), as the atmospheric pressure outside the tube produced on the liquid free surface, then if its the same principle in use in straw, then there's my question.

But if Mercury lies inside the container and I have a straw some 100 cm long, then will the mercury column rise and stop at 76 cm only, and not above that ?

Correct. The exact height depends on local air pressure that day.

In fact any liquid will do same, as its density is less than air density

I don't understand. Most liquids are denser than air.

Edit: Worlds longest straw. Watch from 2min 45sec

Last edited:
Ansuman said:
Infact any liquid will do same, as its density is less than air density, a lesser height of the column of liquid will be required to provide same amount of pressure, so practically, every liquid should rise only a fraction of height of straw. Please explain ??
I don't quite understand what you are asking here.

Does sucking liquid through a straw work with the same principle as a barometer? Sure. The air pressure pushes the fluid up the straw. Where's the loophole?

Ansuman said:
1.The problem I have been facing is understanding how a straw exactly works ?? I know the general, conventional solution given to this problem by the principle of working of a barometer, but I think it has a serious loophole.

3.They say as a vacuum space is created in the straw due to our breathing actions, hence an extra amount of fluid is required to fill that space up so that the pressure exerted by the fluid given by the equation of {h*density of fluid*acc. due to gravity}, is equal to the atmospheric pressure and the whole condition is in accordance to Pascal's law. But if Mercury lies inside the container and I have a straw some 100 cm long, then will the mercury column rise and stop at 76 cm only, and not above that ?
Yes, assuming the atmospheric pressure that day is 76 cm Hg. Also, don't try to do this by sucking on a straw with mercury below. Mercury is very poisonous. Also, you can't apply a vacuum approaching 76 mm Hg by mouth; you just can't suck that hard.

I think you meant to say that the density of other liquids is less than that of mercury. So the rise for other liquids would be greater than for mercury. For example, in the case of water, the maximum rise would be about 10 m. Do the math.

Chet

Ansuman said:
every liquid should rise only a fraction of height of straw.
Assuming you mean that the liquid has a greater density than air, you seem to be thinking that the air pressure applied at the surface of the liquid outside the straw is only that arising from the layer of air from that level to the level of the top of the straw. No, there's kilometres of air above that contributing.

CWatters said:

Correct. The exact height depends on local air pressure that day.
I don't understand. Most liquids are denser than air.

Edit: Worlds longest straw. Watch from 2min 45sec

i am extremely sorry abt the last lyn, i wanted to say jst the same, most fluids are denser than air, and that's my question is that if it is so , then any fluid can create same pressure at the required height inside the straw with a shorter column than that of air, hence any straw won't be working at all ??

P.s. i made the necessary changes in the question.

haruspex said:
Assuming you mean that the liquid has a greater density than air, you seem to be thinking that the air pressure applied at the surface of the liquid outside the straw is only that arising from the layer of air from that level to the level of the top of the straw. No, there's kilometres of air above that contributing.
thanks that helped me...i ws missin on that point.

Chestermiller said:
Yes, assuming the atmospheric pressure that day is 76 cm Hg. Also, don't try to do this by sucking on a straw with mercury below. Mercury is very poisonous. Also, you can't apply a vacuum approaching 76 mm Hg by mouth; you just can't suck that hard.

I think you meant to say that the density of other liquids is less than that of mercury. So the rise for other liquids would be greater than for mercury. For example, in the case of water, the maximum rise would be about 10 m. Do the math.

Chet
thank you sir, this helped me a lot

1. How does the straw paradox work?

The straw paradox is a thought experiment that challenges our understanding of motion and continuity. It involves placing a straw in a bottle of liquid, and then capping the bottle and removing the straw. The paradox lies in the fact that the straw appears to be both inside and outside of the bottle at the same time.

2. Why is it called a paradox?

The straw paradox is called a paradox because it seems to defy our understanding of basic physics. According to our intuition, the straw cannot be both inside and outside of the bottle at the same time.

3. Does the straw actually break the laws of physics?

No, the straw paradox does not break any laws of physics. It simply challenges our understanding of motion and continuity, and forces us to think outside of the box.

4. What is the solution to the straw paradox?

The solution to the straw paradox lies in understanding the concept of relative motion. While the straw appears to be in two places at once from our perspective, it is actually only in one place from the perspective of an observer inside the bottle.

5. How does the straw paradox relate to other paradoxes in science?

The straw paradox is just one of many paradoxes in science that challenge our understanding of the world. Other famous paradoxes include the twin paradox, the grandfather paradox, and the liar paradox. These paradoxes force us to think critically and question our assumptions about the laws of the universe.