What is the terminal speed of the paratrooper?

In summary, the paratrooper is carrying a siren that emits a 788 Hz audible signal. The microphone on the plane monitors the signal as the paratrooper falls, and the perceived frequency becomes constant at 412 Hz. Using the equation for the doppler effect, the terminal speed of the paratrooper is calculated to be 313.03 m/s.
European Sens

Homework Statement

A helicopter drops a paratrooper carrying a siren that emits a 788 Hz audible signal. The microphone (reciever) on the plane monitors the signal from the transmitter as the paratrooper falls. Take the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s and assume the paratroopers always remains below the helicopter. If the perceived frequency becomes constant at 412 Hz, what is the terminal speed of the paratrooper? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Not sure... could you guys help me out.

Possibly Speed = wavelength * frequency ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Probably would need an equation first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and use your knowledge of the doppler effect for this.

I don't really know much about it.

f' = f [(v+v1)/(v-v2)]

that's the equation. could you please walk me through this problem.

Ok so the doppler effect is the apparent change in frequency of a wave due to the motion of the source or the observer.
So f' is the observed and f is the frequency of the source.

[tex] f' = \frac{fv}{v\pm u} [/tex]

where v is the speed of sound and u is the speed of the source or the observer.
If the source is approaching you it is v - u and if it is moving away it is v + u.

Last edited:
Okay. That was very helpful. I got the answer of 313.03.

I submitted online and it is correct.

Thanks!

No problem, happy to help.

1. What is terminal speed?

Terminal speed is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid medium, such as air or water, due to the balance between the force of gravity and air resistance.

2. How is terminal speed different from free fall speed?

Free fall speed is the speed at which an object would fall if there were no air resistance, while terminal speed takes into account the opposing force of air resistance.

3. What factors affect the terminal speed of a paratrooper?

The terminal speed of a paratrooper can be affected by factors such as the weight and surface area of the paratrooper, the density of the air, and the presence of external forces like wind.

4. Can the terminal speed of a paratrooper be calculated?

Yes, the terminal speed of a paratrooper can be calculated using the formula: Vt = √ (2mg/ρAC), where Vt is the terminal speed, m is the mass of the paratrooper, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the air, A is the area of the paratrooper, and C is the drag coefficient.

5. How does the terminal speed of a paratrooper impact their landing?

The terminal speed of a paratrooper determines the rate at which they descend towards the ground. A higher terminal speed means a faster descent, which can lead to a harder landing. Therefore, it is important for paratroopers to control their terminal speed during descent to ensure a safe landing.