1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect Question regarding wavelength changing

1. Apr 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A listener L hears the siren from a moving police car ,S, which is moving away from the listener with a speed of v = 20.0 m/s. The listener is moving at 10.0 m/s towards the car. There is a wind blowing with a speed of v(wind)= 10.0 m/s from S to L. The siren is emitting sound at a frequency (f) of 800 Hz. The velocity of sound in air is 343 m/s. Calculate the frequency (f') heard by the listener and the wavelength (λ) of that wave.

2. Relevant equations

f' = f(v +/- vD) / (v -/+ vS)
    v = fλ

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding the new frequency is easy:

f' = (800hz)(343+10+ 10)/(343+10+20)
    f' = 779 Hz.

But now for finding the wavelength I'm confused.
    I know it's λ = v/f'

but is it:
    v = 343m/s (the speed of sound in still air)
    v= 343+10 m/s (the speed of sound + the speed of the wind)
    v= 343+10+20 m/s (the speed of sound + the speed of the wind + the speed of the source)
    or something else?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The wavelength heard by the listener is the frequency of the sound divided by the speed the wave is passing the listener.

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    My apologies, I put the wrong question (I had v = f/λ when it should be v= fλ); I fixed this up now.

But by your statement would be the last option I suggested? λ = (speed of sound + speed of wind + speed of source)/(new frequency)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted