What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 23K views
guitarhero123
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. How long does it take a ping pong ball to reach terminal velocity?
2. What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

guitarhero123 said:
1. How long does it take a ping pong ball to reach terminal velocity?
2. What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

Hi guitarhero123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Is this a theory or an experiment question?

Anyway, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:
 
The Terminal Velocity is about 9.5 m/s

98% of which is attained after falling 12.5 m. (Im not sure of the time it takes to get to this)

Did you want to know the values? Or the working?

I can't help you with the working, I simply found an answer from a quick google search.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984AmJPh..52..890B" is the site.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure how to start working out the problem.
I was given this equation Vi+1=Vi+(g-c^2/m*Vi^2)t
im not sure if that makes sense or not i think its supposed to read velocity initial plus one equals velocity initial plus the quantity gravity minus c squared over mass times initial velocity squared times the change in time
We were told to determine the velocity every .1 second until we reach terminal velocity.
I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm really lost.