What is the Thread of Arts in Everyday Life?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Art Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
116 replies · 36K views
rewebster said:
I remember reading that one of Picasso's works in some museum had to be turned 'upside-down' for six months out of the year for the paint to get back in place, because, instead of using linseed oil, he used motor oil.

Ha ha! That's how them damn "in the moment" people worked. That and there wasn't much in the way of understanding of archival methodologies. None of this seemed to hamper Picasso or any of the other greats from those days. I mean, Beethoven wrote his music while he was deaf and Monet painted his Lilies while going partially blind. Extreme dedication eh?! Sort of like Mick Jaggar still going at it against all odds!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
baywax said:
Ha ha! That's how them damn "in the moment" people worked. That and there wasn't much in the way of understanding of archival methodologies. None of this seemed to hamper Picasso or any of the other greats from those days. I mean, Beethoven wrote his music while he was deaf and Monet painted his Lilies while going partially blind. Extreme dedication eh?! Sort of like Mick Jaggar still going at it against all odds!

Well, he had catarcts. So technically he wasnt going blind. It was distorting his ability to interpret colors.
 
I was looking around on ebay (again), and I saw this painting in the listings view. I thought 'whoa'-- a fantasy/surreal piece of a 'portrait' with an owl's head.

6323_0.JPG







When I when to the item, it was a miniature portrait---the painting itself is only 2 1/2" by 3 1/4"






6415_12.JPG


6323_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/19th-C-BEAUTIFUL-OIL-IVORY-MINIATURE-PAINTING-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ280230160643QQihZ018QQcategoryZ551QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
rewebster said:
I was looking around on ebay (again), and I saw this painting in the listings view. I thought 'whoa'-- a fantasy/surreal piece of a 'portrait' with an owl's head.

When I when to the item, it was a miniature portrait---the painting itself is only 2 1/2" by 3 1/4"

Holy ****, that guy got cataracts just doing the painting! I am really interested in tackling this type of painting. The brushes are probably one and two hair in size. I saw the portrait of Napoleon's son and it was about that size. I have been dabbling in iconic art using oils and gilding but these panels are more like 1 and 2 feet high.

A beautiful rendering of Napoleon's son, Napoleon Francois Charles Joseph (1811-1832) from his union with Maria Louisa of Austria. This miniature painted on ivory is encased in a Bronze frame decorated with an "N" under a crown supported by Egyptian sphinx. The painting is signed by "Hernandez" and attributed to Daniel Hernandez (1856-1932). In excellent condition; Size 5" height by 3.25" width.

Actually the "sphinx" appear to be more Babylonian than Egyptian.
 
Attachments
  • Ivory.jpg
    Ivory.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
rewebster said:
hey, baywax---do you have a website for the company you work for? (you don't have to post it if you don't want to)

Yes, here's the whole enchilada.

http://www.gormanstudios.com/
 
baywax said:
Yes, here's the whole enchilada.

http://www.gormanstudios.com/

my, my, my-------

The company does absolutely incredible and fabulous work---I am really, really impressed. ---really


I started thinking about the quality shown in the photos and thought about William Morris, L. C. Tiffany, and the Roycroft studios and all the various 'products', commissions, etc. they did--only they were more singly minded in their 'style' output (which led to those companies downfall/going out of fashion--but are recognized for their 'style').


my, my, my-----what fun
 
rewebster said:
my, my, my-------

The company does absolutely incredible and fabulous work---I am really, really impressed. ---really


I started thinking about the quality shown in the photos and thought about William Morris, L. C. Tiffany, and the Roycroft studios and all the various 'products', commissions, etc. they did--only they were more singly minded in their 'style' output (which led to those companies downfall/going out of fashion--but are recognized for their 'style').


my, my, my-----what fun

It was a major amount of fun. Especially when there was no micro-managing by the owner or the clients. And that's when the best work is done. Too many cooks etc...

Style in that business is just another commodity. There was no specific style so the company lasted, and lasts, a little longer than someone with a "branded" style like Tiffany's or what have you. The most amazing thing is that we were paid to tour Italy and make notes on style etc... because of up coming projects. Many of the projects are private. Some have been viewed by Presidents etc because some the clients held fund raisers etc.

In the end the most rewarding thing about that work is that you are in a position to experience what the greats were up to when they had an overwhelming commission like the Sistine Chapel or the Bronze Horse... etc.
 
baywax said:
Yes, here's the whole enchilada.

http://www.gormanstudios.com/

That looks incredible!

rewebster said:
I was looking around on ebay (again), and I saw this painting in the listings view. I thought 'whoa'-- a fantasy/surreal piece of a 'portrait' with an owl's head.

Great observation! Looks a bit like an animated cat to me.
 
Here's a nice hand colored pencil signed engraving printed/dated 1887 I picked up not too long ago:





handcoloredengraving.jpg


its a nice size too--the image size is 14.5 x 23 inches, the overall size (thats including the frame) is 23 x 33 inches.
 
Last edited:
rewebster said:
Here's a nice hand colored pencil signed engraving printed/dated 1887 I picked up not too long ago:
handcoloredengraving.jpg
its a nice size too--the image size is 14.5 x 23 inches, the overall size (thats including the frame) is 23 x 33 inches.

Thats very nice rewebster... its practically photographic. Shades of Maxfield Parish to come.!
 
here's a close up showing the well done hand coloring on the engraving


hcengraving.jpg
 
rewebster said:
Here's a nice hand colored pencil signed engraving printed/dated 1887 I picked up not too long ago:





handcoloredengraving.jpg


its a nice size too--the image size is 14.5 x 23 inches, the overall size (thats including the frame) is 23 x 33 inches.

Errr...is that a beer bottle opener in the lower right corner of the frame?
 
lisab said:
Errr...is that a beer bottle opener in the lower right corner of the frame?

oh, yeah...





its one of those almost hidden sublime subliminal images---to the thinking that everything looks a little bit better when you've been drinking or thinking about alcohol
 
lisab said:
Errr...is that a beer bottle opener in the lower right corner of the frame?

Its a blindstamp of a simple line outline of a camera
 
My cousin is a talented artist. Her paintings are very nice -generally primitive and folky. She made this scene of a flower-garden for me and my wife when she was playing with impressionism. She "painted" this by tearing and gluing paint-samples from a hardware store onto poster-board.

sheilagarden.jpg
 
nice and fun---


the pure raw colors blend 'mentally'---like pointillism
 
rewebster said:
nice and fun---


the pure raw colors blend 'mentally'---like pointillism
It's a lot more "cohesive" when viewed from a bit of distance.
 
well, when you get time, could you take another shot with 'a bit of distance'?

(it falls apart at close range)
 
One of the more interesting periods of new things was after the introduction of electric to more places after Tesla and Westinghouse got the commission for AC power generation at Niagara Falls in 1895. New 'electrical' devices exploded on the scene.

One was decorative electric lighting. A lot of companies got into it, Handel, Tiffany Studios (not Tiffany & Co.--that was his father's firm), Emeralite, Pairpoint, etc.

Here's a marked (Pairpoint company stamp) and signed (by the artist who painted it) Reverse painted (painted on the inside of the shade) Pairpoint (Pairpoint Corporation) table lamp shade:

Pairpoint-signed.jpg


it wasn't described too well, and I got it for a less than $100. The surface is called 'chipped ice' and was a process of applying a special glue, which when removed, took thin small areas/sections of glass off giving it a surface texture.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&tab=wi&q=pairpoint lamps
 
Last edited:
rewebster said:
it wasn't described too well, and I got it for a less than $100.
Wow! What a steal! Some Pairpoint shades sell pretty well, but are to froo-froo for any home that's not over-the-top Victorian. Yours is wonderful.
 
yeah, some Pairpoint's and Handel lamps sell in the 40k to 50k range, not as good as the best Tiffany's (over a million each).

I don't know if I have a signed Pairpoint base, I'll have to look, but a nice one will run $75-175--not bad to have 'full' lamp, if I don't have one.

here's a fun Pairpoint:

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/274/images/thumbs/68654.jpg

"This piece saw much attention and several phone bids to swoop past its $15,000-25,000 pre-auction to sell for $42,550"

link for full size image:

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/274/images/pr/68654.jpg

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/press_releases/pr_2009.asp?cID=lg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of a feat of clay I own. It was created by my niece, Heather Mae Erickson. I think of it as a candy dish, but perhaps it's meant to be a platter with a place for the meal, and a place for the cup. I just treat it like a piece of artwork and have never used it in any utilitarian way. Perhaps when Bill or Warren come to visit, I'll toss some candy in it and put it on the coffee table, once I clear it of course.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jsnyder527/20110412?authkey=Gv1sRgCKqN1K6YxvbP8QE#5594684981333248066"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My neice is teaching a course in ceramics at Colorado Mountain College.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/225945_466206186745608_224602831_n.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great, Jimmy! Lovely art, very appealing shapes!