What is the time it takes for two charges to meet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FalcorTheDog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charges Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
FalcorTheDog
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I just came up with this seemingly simple problem today, but am having the hardest time solving it:

Two point charges of +Q and -Q lie a distance R from each other. How long will it take for them to meet?

Homework Equations



F = (q1*q2)/(4*pi*Eo*r^2) = ma
a = dv/dt


The Attempt at a Solution



So the instantaneous force on both particles will be: (Q^2)/(4*pi*Eo*r^2) towards one another.

The instantaneous acceleration will be this force divided by the mass of an electron.

From there you can find instantaneous velocity, but I don't know if that helps any.

I just can't figure out what it is I need to integrate. Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's tedious, but an almost perfect analogy is with the problem of two identical masses free-falling into each other due to gravity. You can use Kepler's third law of motion to solve that one, or you can solve a second order o.d.e.

Read all about it here : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119855 and you should be able to adapt that easily to this problem. Only the constants change.
 
This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the help! Who knew such a seemingly simple problem could be so involved.