Electric field at the center of a quarter-circle arc of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
guyvsdcsniper
Messages
264
Reaction score
37
Homework Statement
Determine electric field at center of curvature of arc.
Relevant Equations
E=KQ/r^2
I am having trouble understand where area circled in red.

I get that lamda is Q/L. The charge is +Q. Length is pi/R/2.

I am having trouble understanding why the length is pi/R/2? Is it because the circumference of a circle is 2*pi*R and since we have broken this problem down to just evaluating a quarter of the a circle, we divide 2*pi*R by 4 and get pi*R/2 which when we put that under Q we get 2Q/pi*R?

I wasnt sure until I typed out my question about and believe that may be the case, but just looking for some conformation.

Also, is there a simpler approach to this problem? My teacher wrote this out and I found it hard to follow.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 6.37.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 6.37.50 PM.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
I am having trouble understanding why the length is pi/R/2? Is it because the circumference of a circle is 2*pi*R and since we have broken this problem down to just evaluating a quarter of the a circle, we divide 2*pi*R by 4 and get pi*R/2 which when we put that under Q we get 2Q/pi*R?

I wasnt sure until I typed out my question about and believe that may be the case, but just looking for some conformation.
Yes, I think you have correctly answered your own question. The charge +Q is spread out over a length of a quarter of a circle of radius R.
quittingthecult said:
Also, is there a simpler approach to this problem? My teacher wrote this out and I found it hard to follow.
Your teacher's solution looks very good. If there is a specific place in the solution that you are confused about, we can help clarify.