What is the value of e when substituting n=infinity into the limit (1 + 1/n)^n?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 5K views
I understand your post Steely Dan, but I was just wondering why I'm not getting the approximate value of 2 when I tried it myself:

http://i2.lulzimg.com/7009a29b9a.png

Tex version:

[tex]Ignoring\quad coefficients...\\ { (1+{ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n }={ \underset { n\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } }(1^{ n }{ ({ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ 0 }+{ 1 }^{ n-1 }{ ({ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ 1 }+{ 1 }^{ n-2 }{ ({ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ 2 }+\quad ...\quad +{ 1 }^{ 1 }{ ({ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n-1 }+{ 1 }^{ 0 }{ ({ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n })\\ { (1+{ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n }={ \underset { n\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } }(1+{ n }^{ -1 }+{ n }^{ -2 }+\quad ...\quad +{ n }^{ -n+1 }+{ n }^{ -n })\\ { (1+{ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n }={ \underset { n\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } }\left[ { n }^{ -n }({ n }^{ n }+{ n }^{ n-1 }+{ n }^{ n-2 }+\quad ...\quad +{ n }^{ 1 }+{ n }^{ 0 }) \right] \\ Ignoring\quad everything\quad except\quad the\quad first\quad two\quad terms...\\ { (1+{ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n }={ \underset { n\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } }\left[ { n }^{ -n }({ n }^{ n }+{ n }^{ n-1 }) \right] \\ { (1+{ n }^{ -1 }) }^{ n }={ \infty }^{ -n }(\infty ^{ n }+{ \infty }^{ n-1 })[/tex]

Results:

http://i2.lulzimg.com/912d8aca39.png

Am I doing something wrong? Do the coefficients matter? How did you get the coefficients of (n-1)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tahayassen said:
Am I doing something wrong? Do the coefficients matter? How did you get the coefficients of (n-1)?

The coefficients absolutely matter. In the way you wrote it, the second term is not [itex](1)n^{-1}[/itex] but [itex](n)n^{-1}[/itex]. If you're not seeing it, you have to actually work out the individual terms in the expansion.
 
[tex]s_n = n^{-n} (1 + (n-1)n + ... + (n-1)n^{n-1} + n^n)[/tex]

How did you get the coefficients: (n-1) for all the terms in the middle?

Wouldn't pascal's coefficients be something like:

http://i2.lulzimg.com/4084d10b33.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
tahayassen said:
[tex]s_n = n^{-n} (1 + (n-1)n + ... + (n-1)n^{n-1} + n^n)[/tex]

How did you get the coefficients: (n-1) for all the terms in the middle?

Wouldn't pascal's coefficients be something like:

http://i2.lulzimg.com/4084d10b33.png

That's correct. Obviously I didn't work out all of the coefficients, just the last three:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ n \end{array}\right) = \frac{n!}{n!\ 0!} = 1[/tex]
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ n-1 \end{array}\right) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!\ 1!} = n[/tex]
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c} n \\ n-2 \end{array}\right) = \frac{n!}{(n-2)!\ 2!} = \frac{1}{2}(n)(n-1)[/tex]

The coefficients are symmetric, so this would also be the first three.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, one last thing, if I look at your third term:

[tex]\frac { 1 }{ 2 } (n^{ 2 }-3n+2)n^{ n-2 }[/tex]

But shouldn't it be:

[tex]\frac { 1 }{ 2 } (n)(n-1)n^{ n-2 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } ({ n }^{ 2 }-n)n^{ n-2 }[/tex]
 
Yes, I tried doing the coefficients in my head when I wrote that and evidently made a mistake. Fortunately it didn't affect the leading term.