What is the value of the dampening constant?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HiggsBrozon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constant Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
HiggsBrozon
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The shock absorber of a car has elastic constant k. When the car is empty, the design is such that the absorber is critically damped. At time t=0 the absorber is compressed by an amount A from its equilibrium position and released.
a) If after 1 second the absorber compression is reduced to A/2, what is the value of the damping coefficient? (Note you will have to solve numerically an implicit equation).


Homework Equations



x(t) = (A+Bt)e-βt where β = ω0


The Attempt at a Solution



A(t) = Ae-βt
1/2A = Ae-βt where t = 1s
ln(1/2) = -β

I know this can't be right because I'm suppose to arrive at an implicit equation. I can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong at. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HiggsBrozon said:

Homework Statement



The shock absorber of a car has elastic constant k. When the car is empty, the design is such that the absorber is critically damped. At time t=0 the absorber is compressed by an amount A from its equilibrium position and released.
a) If after 1 second the absorber compression is reduced to A/2, what is the value of the damping coefficient? (Note you will have to solve numerically an implicit equation).

Homework Equations



x(t) = (A+Bt)e-βt .

The Attempt at a Solution



A(t) = Ae-βt ?
1/2A = Ae-βt where t = 1s
ln(1/2) = -β

I know this can't be right because I'm suppose to arrive at an implicit equation. I can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong at. Any help would be appreciated.

The general equation for the displacement is

x(t) = (A+Bt)e-βt .

At t=0, x=A. What is the value of B if the velocity is 0 at t=0 (that is, the derivative of x(t) has to be zero at t=0)? ehild
 
Thanks for you reply!

x' = (-Aβ - Btβ + β)e-βt
The velocity is 0 at t=0 so,

0 = (-Aβ + β)(1)
β=0 and A = 1

Would I then go on to use t = 1 sec at A0 = A0/2
where A0 = A+βt, the initial amplitude, or is A0 equal to the value I just solved for, A = 1?
 
β is the damping coefficient. It is a parameter of the problem. It does not depend on the initial condition.

You have to fit the constant B to the initial condition V=0. There is a mistake in your derivation. Check the derivative of x(t) = (A+Bt)e-βt.

ehild
 
After correcting my derivative I got,
x' = (-Aβ - Btβ + B)e-βt
Then using my initial conditions v = 0 at t = 0,

0 = (-Aβ + B)(1)
→ B = Aβ

so, x(t) = (A+Bt)e-βt where B = Aβ
and then I can use A = A/2 when t = 1s correct?