1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between period and time in oscillators

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the amplitude of a weakly damped oscillator decreased to 1/e of its initial value after n periods, show that the frequency of the oscillator must be approximately [1 − (8π2n2)-1] times the frequency of an undamped oscillator with the same natural frequency.

2. Relevant equations
    The equation for a weakly damped harmonic oscillator is x(t) =Ae-βtcos(ω1t-δ) where ω1 = sqrt(ωo22)
    A = amplitude
    β = decay constant
    ω1 = period for damped oscillator
    ωo = natural frequency
    T = period
    t = time
    δ = phase angle
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the amplitude was initially Ae-βt and finally 1/e, I solved for t=1/β or β=1/t. I then took the equation ω1 = sqrt(ωo22) and did an expansion to the second term which gave me that ω1o(1-β2/2ωo2). Ridding of β2 for 1/t gives me ω1o(1-1/2ωo2t2). I can then replace ωo with 2πn/T and then I would almost have the correct answer, but for that t= T which doesn't make sense. Also as an aside do I not have to include the phase angle (so I can make it zero) since I'm not measuring the oscillator in reference to another one? Or is it there due to impedance or something?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're introducing ##n## in the wrong place. If ##1/\beta## is the time for ##n## periods, you can say ##1/\beta = n(2\pi/\omega_1)##.

4. Apr 1, 2017 #3
    Okay, can you explain why that is?

5. Apr 1, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How are the angular frequency of the damped oscillator ##\omega_1## and the period ##T## related?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted