What is the value of this finite sum?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Pere Callahan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Finite Sum Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Pere Callahan
Messages
582
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I came across a somewhat unwieldy sum which I do not know how to manipulate any further. I suspect it might have something to do with a hypergeometric series, but I am not sufficiently familar with those series to be able to just see how it might be related to them.

The sum in question is

[tex]\sum_{1\leq r_1< r_2 < \dots < r_n \leq m}{\frac{ (k-1)!(k-2r_1)!(k-2r_2+1)! \dots (k-2r_{n-1}+n-2)!(k-2r_n+n-1)! }{ (k-2r_1+1)!(k-2r_2+2)! \dots (k-2r_{n-1}+n-1)!(k-2r_n+n)! }}[/tex]

where k is some non-negative integer, [tex]0\leq n \leq k[/tex]. m is defined by

[tex]m=\left\lfloor\frac{k+n}{2}\right\rfloor \geq n[/tex].

Do you know of any books where I could look up things like that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Pere
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. A=B seems to be an interesting book, I hadn't heard of it before.