What is the velocity of a body thrown into a pit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chawki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 5K views
chawki
Messages
504
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A body is thrown vertically upward from the distance h = 1,5 m above the ground at the
edge of a pit having a depth of s = 3,5 m. The initial velocity of the body is 2,3 m/s.

Homework Equations


Determine the velocity at which the body will reach the bottom of the pit.

The Attempt at a Solution


(h=5m)

V2-V02=2gh
V=10.168 m/s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What a violent problem...

I'll give you a hint, the initial height is 1.5m, but the total height is 3.5m.
 
flyingpig said:
What a violent problem...

I'll give you a hint, the initial height is 1.5m, but the total height is 3.5m.

really ?
 
chawki said:

The Attempt at a Solution


(h=5m)

V2-V02=2gh
V=10.168 m/s
Looks good.
 
Hello Doc Al, Thank you for your help on the last time regarding equations..i try not to mess up my mind with them.

regarding this actual problem, I'm starting to think that flying pig is right :/
 
chawki said:
regarding this actual problem, I'm starting to think that flying pig is right :/
Why is that?
 
Take Doc Al's advice. I just glanced over the problem and your equation. I just saw that you missed the initial height in your equation, so I jumped into a conclusion lol
 
flyingpig said:
Take Doc Al's advice. I just glanced over the problem and your equation. I just saw that you missed the initial height in your equation, so I jumped into a conclusion lol

ahaa..lol don't confuse me :smile: I'm easy to confuse :shy:
i'm glad i was right at the first try :smile:
 
This is how I'm imagining it...
 
Attachments
  • throwing a ball up.JPG
    throwing a ball up.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 588
i think you're right boy .. here's my solution

v^2 = Vo^2 - 2gy
Vo=2.3m/s
y=1.5+3.5 = 5m

V=2.3^2 -2(9.8)(-5)
V=10.16m/s downward ..

:approve: