1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Force and Decelerating Boat

Tags:
  1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1000 kg boat is travelling at 100km/h when its engine is shut off.The magnitude of the frictional force ## \vec f_k## between boat and the water is proportional to the speed v of the boat:##f_k=70v##,where v is in meters per second and ##f_k## is in newtons.Find the time required for the boat to slow to 45 km/h

2. Relevant equations
    ## \vec F=m \vec a##
    ##v-v_0=at##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I turned km/h to m/s which its ##100km/h=27.7 m/s## and ##45km/h=12.5m/s##
    then ;
    ##ma=-70v##
    here the connfusing part is ##a## decreases when v decreases.Theres no constant decelaration.I thought integral but without distance I stucked.
    ##∫mdv=∫-70vdt##

I dont know what to do.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed the deceleration is not constant. Note that ##a = dv/dt## and so what you have is a differential equation describing how velocity changes with time. You will need to solve this differential equation.

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3
    I didnt learn diff equation.I am fresman student and uni teaches us second year.Like I have no clue

5. Jan 22, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

That's not the correct equation. You need to separate the variables.
    So you can do integrals and differentials separately, right? I guess your only problem is to set up differential equations using the given data?
    As orodruin pointed out, use a=dv/dt.
    What will be the equation of the force on the boat? Which force is acting on it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted