What is the velocity of particle x with reference to Y?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reference frames and how to find the velocity of particle X with respect to particle Y. The equations provided are not relevant to solving the problem.
Alpha123

Homework Statement

Particle X moves with a velocity of 15 m/s[R]. Particle Y moves with a velocity of 5.0 m/s[L]. What is the velocity of particle X with reference to particle Y? The correct answer is 20 m/s (R).
I do not understand what velocity in reference to particle Y means, and how to find it.

Homework Equations

d= (vi)t + 1/2 at^2
(vf)^2= (vi)^2 + 2ad
vf= vi + at
a=(vi+vf)/2 X t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the vectors ( not sure if correctly done), but i do not know what my next step is.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the correct answer is 20

Alpha123 said:
I do not understand what velocity in reference to particle Y means, and how to find it.
Referance frame means you need to take that point which make observation.In this situation referance frame Y means, Y car is your observer.You don't need to find anything about referance frame, its just a concept.I think you don't now the idea of referance frame.I will recommend you watch this.It will help you the understand of idea.Then you may do the question yourself.And the equations which you wrote are not going to help us to solve this question.They are unnecessary.

Likes Alpha123
If you didnt understnd again tell me which I can help you to solve the question

thank you ! I understood it .

1. What is the meaning of velocity in particle physics?

Velocity in particle physics refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity of a particle measured?

The velocity of a particle can be measured by using a variety of instruments such as particle accelerators, detectors, and other specialized equipment. These instruments track the movement of particles and can calculate their velocity based on the distance traveled and the time taken.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in particle physics?

Velocity and speed are closely related concepts in particle physics, but they are not interchangeable. While speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, velocity takes into account the direction of movement as well. Therefore, velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. Can the velocity of a particle change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a particle can change over time due to various factors such as acceleration, forces acting on the particle, and interactions with other particles. In particle physics, the measurement of a particle's velocity is often a crucial aspect of understanding its behavior and interactions.

5. How does the reference point affect the measurement of particle velocity?

The reference point, or frame of reference, can greatly affect the measurement of particle velocity. In particle physics, it is important to specify the reference point when measuring velocity, as it can impact the direction and magnitude of the velocity. The choice of reference point can vary depending on the experiment and the specific particle being studied.