Velocity of particle leaving wedge

In summary, the given problem involves a wedge with a cavity, on which a small sphere slides down from the top edge of the cavity. The maximum height achieved by the sphere after breaking off from the wedge is to be proven as ##\frac{10R}{11}## (from point B). By conserving energy and momentum, the correct answer is found to be ##\frac{5}{6}R##, assuming that the sphere moves tangentially to the arc at the point it leaves and taking into account the motion of the arc itself.
WubbaLubba Dubdub

Homework Statement

In the given figure, a wedge of mass 2m is lying at rest on a horizontal surface. The wedge has a cavity which is the portion of a sphere of radius R. A small sphere of mass m is released from the top edge of the cavity to slide down. All surfaces are smooth.Prove the maximum height acquired by the sphere after breaking off from the wedge is ##\frac{10R}{11}## (from the point B)
question 2.jpg

[Paraphrased]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the velocity of the sphere at the point where the sphere leaves the wedge be ##v## and that of the wedge be ##v_w##, then conserving energy, we get $$mgR = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}2mv_{w}^{2} + mg\frac{R}{2}$$
also conserving momentum along the x axis
$$2mv_w = mvcos(\frac{\pi}{3})$$
(Since the angle the tangent at point C makes with the horizontal is 60 degrees)
solving these, I get $$v^2 = \frac{8}{9}gR$$
and hence max height is ##\frac{4}{9}R + \frac{R}{2} = \frac{17}{18}R##
where am I going wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
... also conserving momentum along the x-axis ...
Why is momentum conserved along the x-axis? Gravity is not the only external force on the sphere. The cavity surface exerts a variable normal force that has both x and y components.

On edit: I misread the problem. I suppose that the horizontal surface on which the wedge lies is frictionless so that the horizontal momentum of wedge + ball is conserved. That was not clear after my initial reading of the problem.

Last edited:
WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
hence max height is ##\frac{4}{9}R + \frac{R}{2} = \frac{17}{18}R##

The velocity of sphere as it leaves the wedge is not vertical . Are you sure factor of 4/9 in the first term is correct ?

Vibhor said:
The velocity of sphere as it leaves the wedge is not vertical . Are you sure factor of 4/9 in the first term is correct ?
You're right. The factor should be ##\frac{1}{3}R## yielding maximum height to be ##\frac{5}{6}R##

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
You're right. The factor should be ##\frac{1}{3}R## yielding maximum height to be ##\frac{5}{6}R.##
Which is what I get.

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
You're right. The factor should be ##\frac{1}{3}R## yielding maximum height to be ##\frac{5}{6}R##

I also get same answer . It might be possible , the answer 10R/12 is misprinted as 10R/11.

Vibhor said:
I also get same answer . It might be possible , the answer 10R/12 is misprinted as 10R/11.
It might be the case, or the sphere might not be leaving at 60 degrees at all, since the wedge is also moving backward with some velocity(acceleration?).

Come to think of it, I don't really have a justification that the sphere will move tangentially to the arc at the point it leaves, save for an analogy with the case of uniform circular motion, which is certainly not happening here, but if not tangential, then which direction would the sphere take? Is the answer key simply wrong? Am I overthinking this?

WubbaLubba Dubdub said:
I don't really have a justification that the sphere will move tangentially to the arc at the point it leaves
It will be tangential to the arc, with the arc as frame of reference. But the arc is moving, so it will not be at 60 degrees to the horizontal.

Likes WubbaLubba Dubdub, kuruman and Vibhor
haruspex said:
It will be tangential to the arc, with the arc as frame of reference. But the arc is moving, so it will not be at 60 degrees to the horizontal.

Brilliant !

This gives you the correct result .

haruspex said:
Of course!

haruspex said:
Thank you so much!

Thanks Vibhor and kuruman

1. What is the velocity of a particle leaving a wedge?

The velocity of a particle leaving a wedge can be calculated using the law of conservation of energy. It depends on the height of the wedge, the angle of the wedge, and the initial velocity of the particle.

2. How does the angle of the wedge affect the velocity of the particle?

The angle of the wedge affects the velocity of the particle in a direct manner. As the angle of the wedge increases, the velocity of the particle leaving the wedge also increases.

3. What is the law of conservation of energy and how does it relate to the velocity of the particle leaving a wedge?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of a particle leaving a wedge, the initial potential energy of the particle is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a specific velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a particle leaving a wedge ever be negative?

No, the velocity of a particle leaving a wedge cannot be negative. This is because the particle is always moving in a forward direction and cannot move backwards due to the laws of physics.

5. How can the velocity of a particle leaving a wedge be increased?

The velocity of a particle leaving a wedge can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the particle or by increasing the height and angle of the wedge. However, there may be limitations based on the laws of physics and the materials used for the wedge.