What is the velocity of the balloon relative to earth ?

In summary, the problem involves a monkey climbing up a ladder attached to a balloon, with the monkey and balloon having different masses. The question asks for the velocities, displacements, and work done by the monkey and balloon relative to Earth and to each other. To solve the problem, the concept of center of mass is used to determine the velocity of the balloon, which is found to be moving downwards while the monkey is climbing up. The velocity of the monkey relative to Earth is also determined. The rest of the problem is then solved using basic equations of motion.
leena19

Homework Statement

In the figure: A balloon is attached to a ladder.
The ladder stands vertical on the ground.
The height of the ladder is 6m and there's a monkey at the base of the ladder

Q) The mass of the balloon is 50kg and mass of the monkey is 25kg.
The monkey starts to climb upwards with a constant speed of 0.5m/s

1)What is the velocity of the balloon relative to Earth ?
2)What is the velocity of the monkey relative to Earth ?
3)What is the velocity of the monkey relative to the balloon?
4)Find the timetaken to reach the top of the ladder
5)What's the displacement of the monkey relative to the earth?
6)What's the displacement of the balloon relative to the earth?
7)What's the displacement of the balloon relative to the balloon?
8)what's the increase in PE?
9)What's the total work done by the monkey?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) [tex]\uparrow[/tex]V (m,b) = velocity of monkey relative to balloon = 0.5
V(b,e) = v1 down
V(m,e) = v

V(m,e) = V(m,b) + V(b,e)
V(m,e) = 0.5 - v1 = vel' of monkey relative to earth.

But how do I find the magnitude of V(m,e) ?
I think I can manage to do the other parts of the question,if only I knew how to solve for V(m,e) . :(

Thanks in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit more complicated than what you have written down. Suppose the monkey and balloon system are initially at rest. Then the monkey starts climbing up. Will the balloon move? How can you find its speed? (Think center of mass). The same considerations apply when the balloon is moving with velocity v1.

kuruman said:
Suppose the monkey and balloon system are initially at rest. Then the monkey starts climbing up. Will the balloon move?
Yes,when the monkey starts climbing,it exerts a downward force on the ladder causing the ladder to move down .

How can you find its speed? (Think center of mass).
I tried using centre of mass,but I end up with 2 unknowns.

Here's what I did,
Taking y as the reference distance from the top of the system,
Initially,when the monkey's at the bottom of the ladder
[25 * (6+y) + 50 * y/2 ]/75 = X --------(1) where X = COM

When monkey starts climbing up,
in 1 second,
the balloon moves down by a distance v1,
the monkey moves up by a distance 0.5-v1,sooo...

[ 25 * (6-(0.5-v1)) + y) + 50 (y+v1) ] / 75 = X -----------(2)

(1)=(2)
137.5 + 75v1 + 25y = 150

Not sure how to proceed from here

Before we proceed any further, what does the picture show about the motion of the balloon? Is there a direction to the balloon's velocity v1? In other words is the balloon already moving when the monkey starts climbing?

kuruman said:
Before we proceed any further, what does the picture show about the motion of the balloon? Is there a direction to the balloon's velocity v1? In other words is the balloon already moving when the monkey starts climbing?

The balloon doesn't seem to be moving in the picture,but its just a rough sketch that our teacher put up on the board for us to copy.
I could draw the pic, if needed.may take a few minutes

No need for a picture. If the balloon is initially at rest, when the monkey starts climbing, the centre of mass should remain at rest. Can you write an expression for VCM? (Note that the velocities of monkey and balloon must be relative to the Earth.) Then VCM = 0.

kuruman said:
No need for a picture. If the balloon is initially at rest, when the monkey starts climbing, the centre of mass should remain at rest. Can you write an expression for VCM? (Note that the velocities of monkey and balloon must be relative to the Earth.) Then VCM = 0.

Is VCM the velocity of center of mass?

Here's the pic. anyway
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3106/balloon.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Well,if that's the case,I'm sorry I don't know to write an expression for VCM.

One more hint,please...?

OK,I'm kinda desperate here.I have a physics exam the day after tomorrow and i have a lot more to revise,but I can't seem to concentrate in my studies without solving this problem,so anybody know how i could find expressions for VCM?

Thanx

[tex]V_{CM} = \frac{m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]

kuruman said:
[tex]V_{CM} = \frac{m_{1}v_{1}+m_{2}v_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]

Oh that's the conservation of momentum equation.i feel so stupid i completely missed it.

Anyway,this is what i get
[tex]\downarrow[/tex] m1v1 - m2v2 = 0
50 * v1 = 25*v2
v2 = 2v1

Then,
2v1 = 0.5 - v1
3v1=0.5
v1= 1/6

Is this correct now?

THANK YOU!

The number is correct, but the sign is wrong. Velocity v1 is an algebraic quantity which might turn out positive or negative when you put in the numbers. You should start from

m1v1 + m2v2=0,

do the math and put in the numbers in the end. Then v1 will come out negative indicating that the balloon is moving down while the monkey is climbing up. Note that

v2=-2v1.

I think you can finish the rest now.

Yeah.The rest are easy.

Thanks for the help,sir.
You're awesome!

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

3. How is the velocity of an object calculated?

The velocity of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the object's speed by the cosine of the angle between its direction of motion and a reference frame.

4. What is the difference between absolute velocity and relative velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object relative to a fixed reference point, such as the Earth's surface. Relative velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object relative to another moving object.

5. How is the velocity of a balloon relative to Earth determined?

The velocity of a balloon relative to Earth can be determined by measuring its speed and direction of motion relative to a fixed point on Earth, such as a landmark or the ground. This can be done using tools such as a radar gun or GPS technology.