1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the voltage across the capacitor plates

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    Am I overthinking this problem?

A 15uF capacitor is connected ot a 55V battery and becomes fully charged. The battery is removed and the circuit is left open. A slab of dielectric material is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. It has a dielectric constant of 4.8. What is the voltage across the capacitor plates after the slab is in place?

I'm thinking that I just use V = Vo/k = 55/4.8 =11.5V

This seems too easy and doesn't use the value for the capacitor.

Can anyone tell me if I'm totally off in my thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other way around.

The introduction of a dieletric increases the capacitor's capacitance by a factor of k.

Q = CV and Q remains constant. As a result, if C increases by a factor of k, V must decrease by a factor of k.

You are correct that the actual value of the capacitance is irrelevant, as it cancels out.

- Warren

4. May 30, 2006 #3
    Sorry I'm confused, you said "Other way around" but based on what you wrote I have it correct that the voltage decreases by k, ie V = Vo/k

5. May 30, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woops, sorry, I read your response incorrectly and thought you had increased the voltage across the capacitor. Your answer is correct.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?