1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the voltage across the capacitor plates?

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    A 15μF capacitor is connected to a 55V battery and becomes fully charged. The battery is removed and the circuit is left open. A slab of dielectric material is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. It has a dielectric constant of 4.8. What is the voltage across the capacitor plates after the slab is in place?

I used the formulas:

Q = CV

and

V = Q / C*k

Am I in the right direction? =/

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes but would be better to show more of the working. For example by quoting the equation for a flat plate capacitor

C=E0Era/d

and explaining that the charge is constant.

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It depends upon how and when you apply them :wink: Why not take a shot at a solution so we can see what you have in mind?

Also, try to get in the habit of using parentheses to clarify ambiguous orders of operations in your ascii formulas. For example, is the second equation V = (Q/C)*k, or V = Q/(C*k) ?

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the replies!
    Please correct me if I'm wrong

So first, I used the formula Q=CV to look for the charge of the capacitor connected to the 55V battery. Since the battery is removed, the charge Q remains the same right? Now when the dielectric material is inserted to fill the space, capacitance increases and with the equation Cinitial = Q/V, voltage should decrease ...?

So, basically, I did C*K because capacitance increases by a factor K, then looked for the new voltage: V = Q/Cfinal

Am I making any sense? lol

6. Aug 10, 2012 #5

gneill

It looks like you've got the right idea. What is your numerical result?

7. Aug 10, 2012 #6
    mhmm, I have around 11V ... I hope that's correct =/

8. Aug 10, 2012 #7

gneill

It's in the right neighborhood, yes.

9. Aug 10, 2012 #8
    Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook