What is the voltage across the capacitor plates

In summary, a dielectric material with a dielectric constant of 4.8 is inserted between the plates of a fully charged 15uF capacitor connected to a 55V battery. The voltage across the capacitor decreases to 11.5V due to the increase in capacitance by a factor of 4.8. The actual value of capacitance is irrelevant as it cancels out in the equation.
flower76
Am I overthinking this problem?

A 15uF capacitor is connected ot a 55V battery and becomes fully charged. The battery is removed and the circuit is left open. A slab of dielectric material is inserted to completely fill the space between the plates. It has a dielectric constant of 4.8. What is the voltage across the capacitor plates after the slab is in place?

I'm thinking that I just use V = Vo/k = 55/4.8 =11.5V

This seems too easy and doesn't use the value for the capacitor.

Can anyone tell me if I'm totally off in my thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Other way around.

The introduction of a dieletric increases the capacitor's capacitance by a factor of k.

Q = CV and Q remains constant. As a result, if C increases by a factor of k, V must decrease by a factor of k.

You are correct that the actual value of the capacitance is irrelevant, as it cancels out.

- Warren

Sorry I'm confused, you said "Other way around" but based on what you wrote I have it correct that the voltage decreases by k, ie V = Vo/k

Woops, sorry, I read your response incorrectly and thought you had increased the voltage across the capacitor. Your answer is correct.

- Warren

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is also known as electromotive force (EMF) and is measured in volts (V).

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

3. How is voltage measured across capacitor plates?

Voltage is measured by connecting a voltmeter across the capacitor plates. The positive lead of the voltmeter is connected to the positive plate and the negative lead to the negative plate.

4. What affects the voltage across capacitor plates?

The voltage across capacitor plates is affected by the amount of charge stored on the plates, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the potential difference between the plates.

5. Why is the voltage across capacitor plates important?

The voltage across capacitor plates is important because it determines the amount of energy stored in the capacitor and the amount of work it can do in a circuit. It also affects the behavior of the capacitor in different types of circuits, such as in filters and timing circuits.