1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the voltage across the resistor?

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The amplitude of the voltage across an entire series circuit is 17 V. The inductor alone has an amplitude of 30 V and across the capacitor it is 22 V. To the nearest tenth, what is the voltage across the resistor?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(17+8i)(17-8i)

289+64
    square root of 353

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hello JayLewis, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you explain the reasoning behind your attempt?

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    I was trying to follow steps from handout

I was trying to follow steps from handout..this is the first time we have worked onthis and I don't understand it.

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4

gneill

Okay. I see that you're making use of complex numbers, so I assume that you're familiar with (or at least learning about) the concept of complex impedance and voltage and current. Is that right?

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5
    we are learning about it now

but the instructions aren't very clear

here is the rest of my work:

374-510i
    _________
    484+900

374-510i
    _________

.27-.37i
    .07+.14

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6

gneill

It's difficult to comment on your work since it's not annotated. What is it you're doing here?

If I may make a suggestion, suppose you consider the series RLC circuit being driven by a fixed AC current source. What would be the complex values of the potentials across the capacitor and inductor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted