What is the word for bifurcation but with multi-branching?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bifurcation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
ppppparker
Messages
18
Reaction score
4
I thought it would be polyfurcation but it s not in dictionary. Also if blood vessels use venturi effect to lower pressure in some places, what is the extra speed used for?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
ppppparker said:
I thought it would be polyfurcation but it s not in dictionary. Also if blood vessels use venturi effect to lower pressure in some places, what is the extra speed used for?

Furcation is the term for Multi-branching, Bi-furcation implies it splits into 'only' 2 branches, at that junction.

The venturi effect occurs on the outflow, which implies the pressure is decreased because the volume is evacuated more quickly.
Or,
http://www.healio.com/cardiology/learn-the-heart/cardiology-review/venturi-effect.

Fwiw, I am not a Medical practitioner but I did have a ASD, WPW, and DoKB repair a large number of years ago. :-)