What Is the Yearly Growth Rate for a 40% Increase Over Three Years?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HaLAA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Rate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
HaLAA
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If an investment increased by 40% over 3 years and rose by the same percentage rate each of those years, what was the rate?

Homework Equations


new_value = old_value(1+r)^p

The Attempt at a Solution


Let value of the investment be 1000, then we have 1000(1+0.4) = 1000(1+r)^3, r = 0.1187

r seems reasonable to me, but I am not sure that is right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HaLAA said:

Homework Statement


If an investment increased by 40% over 3 years and rose by the same percentage rate each of those years, what was the rate?

Homework Equations


new_value = old_value(1+r)^p

The Attempt at a Solution


Let value of the investment be 1000, then we have 1000(1+0.4) = 1000(1+r)^3, r = 0.1187

r seems reasonable to me, but I am not sure that is right.
What is (1+r)3 for the rate you found?
 
SammyS said:
What is (1+r)3 for the rate you found?
the investment is increasing at the same rate in 3 years, and we are looking for the rate,r. In order to get the value after 3 years which is already increase 40%, I think (1+r)^3 is the rate increase over 4 years. Thus, this would equal to 1+0.4
 
HaLAA said:
the investment is increasing at the same rate in 3 years, and we are looking for the rate,r. In order to get the value after 3 years which is already increase 40%, I think (1+r)^3 is the rate increase over 4 years. Thus, this would equal to 1+0.4
You did get a value for r, Right?

Simple question:

With that value of r, what do you get for (1+r}3 ?
 
SammyS said:
You did get a value for r, Right?

Simple question:

With that value of r, what do you get for (1+r}3 ?
I get 1.4
 
HaLAA said:
I get 1.4
That corresponds to an increase of 40% .
 
SammyS said:
That corresponds to an increase of 40% .
I am getting confusing about the question, the investment increased 0.4 in 3 years, and in this 3 years increasing by the same rate, that is how I understand the question.
 
HaLAA said:
I am getting confusing about the question, the investment increased 0.4 in 3 years, and in this 3 years increasing by the same rate, that is how I understand the question.
At the end of three years, the investment should have increased by 40%.

You were to find the yearly rate necessary for that growth.

Checking your answer, it seems the % you found is correct.
 
SammyS said:
At the end of three years, the investment should have increased by 40%.

You were to find the yearly rate necessary for that growth.

Checking your answer, it seems the % you found is correct.
Thank you for checking my answer and help me to understand the question in more detail