What is this old apparatus with a coil and pulley used for in physics labs?

• Thread starter deschnell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around an apparatus found in a physics classroom that included a coil, electrode strip, pulley, manual latch, dampening tubes, and a stack for adding weights. It was speculated that the coil may be used for PE -> KE conversion labs and an electromagnet for measuring acceleration. The conversation also touched on a non-working tesla coil in the classroom and ideas for repairing it. The participants also discussed the purpose and mechanics of the apparatus, including the use of a pulley for an Atwood machine and how the falling portion was guided into place. Overall, the conversation demonstrated the participants' curiosity and excitement for physics and experimentation.
deschnell
I'm a student teacher, practicing some physics teaching in a new classroom with old stuff in it. My teacher associate and I can't figure out exactly what this thing is.
base.jpg

top.jpg

There's a coil, with a small electrode strip coming off the top, a pulley up at the top, a manual latch up at the top to let the carriage drop down, some dampening tubes for the landing, and a stack to add weights to at the bottom of the carriage. It can be used for PE -> KE conversion type labs, but I'm not sure what the point of the coil/electricity is?? We plugged it in for fun, unfortunately there were no cool sparks or anything ( ;-) ) But the coil did buzz, and the electrode vibrated.

There's also a non-working tesla coil in the class, which I haven't taken out of the cabinet yet, and the teacher hasn't attempted to troubleshoot or fix yet - anyone with experience with these things?

Physics news on Phys.org
no ideas?

beauty, thanks. Seems similar to a Gaertner Freefall aparatus, (I assumed it was something to do with freefall, but didn't get the wording right in my searches) - and the coil is likely an electromagnet, used to measure acceleration somehow. I'm off on a good enough start now - thanks!
I'll report back when I figure out a good way to use it.

Any ideas on repairing a tesla coil?

Does look like the that apparatus you mentioned. THe pulley would allow you to do an Atwood machine in addition to freefall.

The coil maybe a sparker can you find a way to feed a strip of waxed paper through it?

I think so... I'll have to check again tomorrow. I think the "electrode" at the top, upon remembering what it did when we plugged it in, vibrated back and forth between the electromagnet, hence creating a sine-wave on a paper strip as it dropped down.
And yes, the pulley for use in an atwood setup certainly makes sense! I think we've pieced enough of this together - hopefully tomorrow I can play with it.

Are you sure it's a coil and not a solenoid on the apparatus? If it is a solenoid it may be a rig to evaluate push/pull force. A force push-pull gauge.

Our paper tape sparkers left a spot for each spark, measure the distance between, and assume a 60hz spark.

I think it's an electromagnet being activated at ~60hz (by the sounds of it), which simply makes the 'actuator' strip vibrate back and forth in it's space. The strip is pretty thin and somewhat flexible, but it does show discoloration a bit like overheated metal - but no obvious signs of sparking. I'll report more tomorrow.
Isn't physics fun?

The flat piece of metal at the top looks like it has two screws or rivets in it. They seem to be holding a metal tab that points toward the middle. Maby this holds the falling portion at the top till you pull the tab out from under it.

Something does seem weird though. The outer larger tubes serve to support the top of the apparatus and guide the falling part. The smaller inner tubes on the piece that falls seem to fit into two other tubes at the bottom with a rather snug fit. How does this tube fall into the proper place?

Yes - at the top is a release mechanism.

The inner tubes: there are solid rods on the carriage with rounded/beveled ends to guide them into the tubes. Because they are a relatively tight fit, they serve as dampeners.

Related to What is this old apparatus with a coil and pulley used for in physics labs?

1. What is the purpose of this old apparatus?

The purpose of this old apparatus is to perform a specific function or task in a laboratory or scientific setting. It may have been used for experiments, measurements, or other scientific processes.

2. How old is this apparatus?

The exact age of this apparatus can be difficult to determine without further research. However, based on its design and materials, it may be possible to estimate a general time period in which it was produced.

3. What is this apparatus made of?

This apparatus may be made of various materials such as metal, glass, plastic, or other substances. These materials were chosen for their durability, heat resistance, or other properties that were important for its function.

4. How does this apparatus work?

The specific mechanisms and functions of this apparatus can vary greatly depending on its design and purpose. In order to understand how it works, further research and knowledge of its intended use may be necessary.

5. Is this apparatus still used in modern science?

It is possible that this apparatus is still used in modern science, but it may have been replaced by newer and more advanced equipment. Its use may also depend on the specific field of science and the availability of alternative tools.

Back