What is wrong with my solutionÉ

• Thread starter davedave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a clothesline with a 1 kg pigeon sitting on it, with a sag of 1 m in the middle. The solution involves finding the x and y components of tension, and using equations to find the value of T. The final answer is 25 N, but the book gives 26 N and suggests rounding up if g is taken to be 10 m/s^2.
davedave
Can someone tell me how to correct my solution to get the right answerÉ

A 1 kg pigeon sits on the middle of a clothesline whose supports are 10 m apart. The clothesline sags by 1 m. If the weight of the clothesline is negligible, find the tension in it.

Here is my solution.

let T1x, T2x, T1y and T2y be x and y components of tension of the left and right parts of the clothesline respectively when its middle sags by 1 m.

T1x+T2x=0

equivalently, we have -T1*cos u+T2*cosu=0

so, let T1=T2=T

next equation, T1y+T2y+w=0 where w is the weight of the pigeon

rewriting the equation gives
T1*sinu+T2*sinu+w=0

with T1=T2=T, 2T*sinu-mg=0

isolating T and solving gives T=mg/(2*sinu)

= (1 kg)(9.8 m/s squared)/(2*1/sqrt(26))

= 25 N

The answer in the book is 26 N.

How do you get 26 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take g to be 10m/sec/sec then you can round up the answer to 26N

There are a few issues with your solution that may have led to an incorrect answer of 25 N instead of the correct answer of 26 N.

Firstly, in your equation T1*sinu+T2*sinu+w=0, the weight of the pigeon (w) should be negative since it is acting in the opposite direction of the tension. This would result in the equation T1*sinu+T2*sinu-w=0.

Secondly, when isolating T, you should divide by 2*sinu, not multiply. This would give the correct equation T=mg/(2*sinu).

Lastly, when plugging in the values for the mass of the pigeon (1 kg) and gravity (9.8 m/s^2), you should use the same value for sinu as you did in your previous calculations. In your solution, you used sinu=1/sqrt(26), but this should be sinu=1/5.099 (from the Pythagorean theorem).

Making these changes to your solution should result in the correct answer of 26 N. It's important to double check your equations and units to ensure accuracy in your calculations. Keep practicing and you will improve your problem solving skills as a scientist.

What is wrong with my solution?

1. Why isn't my solution working?

2. How can I fix the errors in my solution?

3. What could be causing my solution to fail?

4. Is there a better way to approach this problem?

5. Can you help me troubleshoot my solution?