What logical error am I making? (solving for T)

In summary, the problem involves three cables supporting a weight of 244N. Using force equilibrium at the connection point of the three cables, it can be determined that the tension in the first cable (T1) is 73.4N and the tension in the second cable (T2) is 97.4N. The original attempt at solving the problem was incorrect due to misinterpretation of the triangles and mislabeling of the weight as a right side.
Callista

Homework Statement

homework-7-the-traffic-light-n.jpg

Homework Equations

Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set this up as two "triangles".

upload_2019-3-6_17-22-11.png
&&
upload_2019-3-6_17-22-26.png

left triangle:
sin(37)=mg/T
T1=mg/sin(37)
T1=202.72

right triangle:
sin(53)=mg/T
T2=mg/sin(53)
T2=152.761

I now know the correct answers are T1=73.4N and T2=97.4. However, I'm not sure what logical fault I'm making when I originally tried to solve the problem using the above method.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT 4. Solution
My mistakes were that I needed to consider all three cables, and that T1y≠T2y.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-6_17-22-11.png
    upload_2019-3-6_17-22-11.png
    639 bytes · Views: 530
  • upload_2019-3-6_17-22-26.png
    upload_2019-3-6_17-22-26.png
    609 bytes · Views: 520
  • homework-7-the-traffic-light-n.jpg
    homework-7-the-traffic-light-n.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your first problem is that you are taking it as being the case that each angled rope supports the entire weight, so you are doing your calculations based on a traffic light weight of 244N

Hint: Force equilibrium for the connection point of the three wires.

Callista said:
However, I'm not sure what logical fault I'm making when I originally tried to solve the problem using the above method.
Your triangles are OK but misinterpreted. Since the 3 forces add to zero, they should form a closed triangle when you add the vectors using the "tail-to-tip" graphic method. Specifically here the vector addition triangle you get is a 3-4-5. If you follow the hint by @Orodruin, and look at the forces acting on the connection point, you will realize that T1 points "up and to the left", T2 points "up and to the right" and T3 (the weight) is vertical. Your triangles show one vertical force but they also show horizontal forces which can't be. If you rotate one of these triangles so that the hypotenuse is vertical, you will see that the right sides correctly point "up and to the left" and "up and to the right" in the vector addition diagram. In short, you have mislabeled the weight ##mg## as a right side in your triangles. Just because you drew one side vertical does not mean that it represents the weight.

Likes Callista

What is a logical error?

A logical error is a mistake in reasoning or thinking that leads to incorrect conclusions or solutions. It is a flaw in the logical structure of an argument or problem-solving process.

What is solving for T?

Solving for T refers to finding the value of an unknown variable, T, in an equation or problem. It involves using mathematical operations and logical reasoning to determine the value of T.

What are some common logical errors when solving for T?

Some common logical errors when solving for T include making incorrect assumptions, using incorrect formulas or equations, and skipping steps in the problem-solving process. These errors can lead to incorrect solutions or no solution at all.

How can I identify a logical error when solving for T?

To identify a logical error when solving for T, it is important to carefully review each step of the problem-solving process. Check for any incorrect assumptions, calculations, or missing steps. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any mistakes or errors.

How can I avoid making logical errors when solving for T?

To avoid making logical errors when solving for T, it is important to approach the problem-solving process with a clear and logical mindset. Double-check your assumptions, use the correct formulas and equations, and follow a step-by-step approach. It can also be helpful to practice problem-solving regularly to improve your skills and avoid making mistakes.