What is your best second books for linear algebra?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difficulty in finding suitable books for advanced linear algebra topics such as unitary and Hermitian matrices, Jordan form, tridiagonal matrix, Sylvester equation, and others. The recommended books for this subject are "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Matrix Analysis" by Carl D Meyer. For a more elementary background, "Fundamentals of Matrix Computations" by Watkins is suggested. For a higher level background, "Applied Numerical Linear Algebra" by Demmel or "Numerical Linear Algebra" by Trefethen and Bau are recommended. "Golub and Van Loan" is also mentioned as a comprehensive reference for the subject.
Ask4material
Hi, Everyone

It is difficult to find nice workable books for more advanced linear algebra.
There are numerous publications and internet materials, few of them are workable to me.

Interested topics:
unitary and Hermitian matrices, Jordan (canonical) form, tridiagonal matrix, Sylvester equation, Fibonacci det, factorizing, tensors, the QR form, spectral theorem, periodic matrix... etc, + some numerical methods and applications

Separated book recommendations for these topics are also welcomed.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
When doing Lin Alg I used:

1) Linear Algebra Done Right - Sheldon Axler
2) Matrix Analysis - Carl D Meyer

I think most of the topics you listed can be found in Meyer's book; but if you want to really understand the crux of Linear Algebra, start with Axler and be patient.

SolsticeFire

What was the level of your first exposure to linear algebra?

If it was elementary (level of Anton, say) then for numerical linear algebra I recommend "fundamentals of matrix computations" by Watkins - cheap used copies of old editions would work. The 2nd edition is significantly better than 1st as it has added important material, but I have the 1st and found it great to learn from. Note you will also learn some more theoretical aspects of linear algebra along the way (invariant subspaces, etc.) as it is unavoidable - the nice thing is that you will see an immediate application!

If your background is higher level (Friedberg Insel and Spence, or Axler, ...) then I still like Watkins as a first introduction, but you may prefer the higher level books "applied numerical linear algebra" by Demmel or "numerical linear algebra" by Trefethen and Bau. Golub and Van Loan is the standard "bible" and could also be used - I find it to be great as a reference but a little too comprehensive (if that makes sense) to systematically work through.

best of luck,

jason

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to study geometric properties of spaces.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. It is also a fundamental subject for understanding more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are some good resources for learning linear algebra?

Some good resources for learning linear algebra include textbooks such as "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses on linear algebra.

4. What is the best way to approach studying linear algebra?

The best way to approach studying linear algebra is to start with the basics and gradually build upon your knowledge. It is important to understand the concepts and practice solving problems to enhance your understanding. It is also helpful to visualize the concepts using graphs and diagrams.

5. Can you recommend a second book for learning linear algebra?

One great second book for learning linear algebra is "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay. This book covers a wide range of topics and includes numerous examples and exercises to enhance your understanding of the subject.