1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your degree, and what do you do?

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Obviously, employment is a big concern for college students trying to figure out their majors and what they want to do with them.

I'm thinking about going into either physics, computer science, or Electrical engineering, but frankly, I just don't know what I want to do.

It would really help if I could get a good view of what people with different degrees actually end up doing.
    I'm assuming that not all physics majors end up as professors or particle accelerator operators, and I always hear about the endless opportunities that physicists have, but I don't actually know anyone with a physics degree, do I'd like to hear about some of your personal experiences.

If you guys don't mind, could you tell me a little bit about your education, your degree(s), and what you do for a living?
    And more importantly, what the job actually involves doing everyday, and what sort of environment you work in?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2
    Physics

Project management for a defense contractor. It's essentially a paper-pusher desk job, but an important one to keep research and development efforts funded and on the correct path.

4. Nov 19, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I finished Computer Science and Mathematics, and I also studied Physics.

Now I am a software engineer.
    Basically I sit all day behind a computer screen and I have meetings.

I write documents specifying what should be done.
    And I write programs in C++ to make it happen.

I've been on various jobs.
    One of those is automating a I-131 radioactive production line.
    TBH, in my job I'm not really doing any math or physics anymore.
    I just do what the job requires from me.
    The knowledge and experience to do so, I have built during my job.
    The systematic and logical thinking I've started in my education.

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Degrees in Physics and Math.
    I have been working as a tech or engineer at a variety of jobs. Lab tech for the OSU Physics Department, Production engineer running a Al Foundry, R&D Engineer developing a Rapid Prototyping system, Tech maintaining clean room wafer processing equipment, currently fabricating oceanographic research instrumentation.

I have never had a job which directly required a Physics or Math degree, but the knowleged base gained with my degrees have always been an asset.

6. Nov 19, 2011 #5
    Also, could you guys also include the level of your degree(s)?

I know that someone with something like a PhD in any discipline would have a much easier time than someone with just a bachelors, even if that PhD had little to do with the job being applied for.

7. Nov 20, 2011 #6
    B.S. in Physics, M.S. in Physics

Now I am doing my PhD in physics, and it includes reading a lot of papers, writing a lot of papers, writing code, building stuff in the lab (that always has a tendency to break or never work properly), screaming obscenities at lab equipment or my computer, sleeping when my advisor is not looking (even though I drink like 5 coffees a day, 2-3 o'clock is always tough, especially after a big lunch), going to too many meetings to get anything useful done, TAing lab classes, grading lab reports (most are sooooooo awful, why should I put so much time grading this stuff when the students obviously didn't put in any time writing it), traveling to conferences to give talks on how nothing we do works (just kidding, we get good results sometimes), pretend to do work between 5 and 7pm before going home(everyone notices if you are the first to go home, or the last!) and then drinking as much beer as possible on Fridays (because, hey, c'mon, its Friday!).

After I am done with this, I hope to get a postdoc, then another postdoc, and keep doing this until I get a professorship and then I never have to leave the bubble of academia and get a real job....

Man, I seem kinda lazy after putting this all in writing.

8. Nov 20, 2011 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

cbetanco, don't forget to make also plan B. ;-)

9. Nov 20, 2011 #8
    But I am too lazy to formulate a plan B! Ok, I get more done than I made it sound, I am not that lazy. Also, I just don't have an interest for doing anything else except study physics forever, so I would rather just wither away and die than have to choose another life path.

10. Nov 20, 2011 #9
    I graduated a 4 year physics degree w/ integrated masters in June, and have started a particle physics-based PhD in September. It's fully funded and I've just been treating it like a 9 to 5 job really. I don't know where you are but here in the UK there seem to be loads of options for further study if you're interested in that.

What I do all day? Well at the moment it's a lot of code writing for some detector simulations, I also so some physical mucking around in the lab, as well as taking some taught modules. It's been good so far.

11. Nov 20, 2011 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Same here, same here.

Don't know how I will I be able to concentrate on something that isn't maths or physics related, but I am not that keen on being a lecturer either, unless the students you teach are really interested in the subject, and the students that really interested in the subject are mainly those who have some idea to proceed to more advanced degrees in academia.

12. Nov 20, 2011 #11
    Have a B.S. physics and math, M.S. physics, now getting a Phd in physics within the next year or so. Have no interest in postdocs so am planning to apply to "alternative" careers for physics phds.

13. Nov 20, 2011 #12

jk

B.S. physics
    Currently working as a contract developer and trying to resist getting pushed/pulled/shoved into a project management role. I have done developer, architect, project manager, manager roles for energy, banking, investment and government contractor. Found that I don't enjoy the project management aspects so just doing contract development for now while taking coursework to prepare for Masters in Math.
    Day to day work consists of meetings, trying to understand requirements written by people who don't know how to write, writing java and SQL code, fighting with testers. Fun stuff

14. Nov 21, 2011 #13
    BSEE, MS Systems Engineering. Unemployed.

15. Nov 21, 2011 #14
    MS comp sci. I'm a programmer.

Work involves: figuring out what to build next. Documenting it. Then building it. Then debugging it. Finally shipping. Then repeat the cycle.

All aspects of the cycle are frequently interesting for different reasons. In figuring out what to build, you have to peer into the crystal ball to try to figure out what will be useful/valuable. Documentation helps find gaps in your designs. You wouldn't be in comp sci if you didn't like programming, so building it is interesting.

Debugging is usually the most interesting of all in that now you have to deal with all the unforseen stuff that you didn't get right in all the previous steps.

16. Nov 21, 2011 #15
    BSEE, PE in control systems. I design SCADA and control systems for a large water and sewer utility. This can be a desk job at times, but I also get out in to the field a lot.

Job sites can range from ordinary to occasionally hazardous and downright disgusting at times. But it is interesting, important work and actually a lot of fun. I've been doing it for 25 years and I still enjoy it, so I guess that either says I'm dull, or that the work is really cool. I prefer to think the latter.

17. Nov 21, 2011 #16

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check out http://www.spsnational.org/cup/profiles/hidden.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  18. Nov 21, 2011 #17
    BS and MS, Physics

19. Nov 21, 2011 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BS Physics. Started as a chemistry major, so I've had lots of chemistry too.

I've worked in R&D labs for many years - currently working as a chemist in a dying industry. Taking classes to get into a master's engineering program.

20. Nov 22, 2011 #19
    Dual BS in physics and applied math, MS in nuclear engineering, working as a radiation safety officer, previously as a health physicist.

21. Nov 22, 2011 #20

I got a BS in physics, worked in the private sector for a few years before going back for my MS. I now work as an actuarial analyst at an insurance company, where I have been for over three years. I am sometimes asked why I changed careers, and I do not have a good answer. I think, faced with a few more years in a lab, I just wanted to try something different. It has worked out very well. That fact, by itself, does not mean it was a wise choice.

I work in an office environment with people I think highly of. Most of my day is spent at a computer doing analysis of one kind or another, though I’m seeing more time in meetings as my responsibilities increase. While my mathematical background is routinely useful, ultimately my job is a business job and whether I succeed in the long run will largely be determined by how well I can master softer skills that aren't my strong point. I look forward to that challenge and hope my stay in this career can be a long one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook