What is your favorite discovery/invention?

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
stephenkohnle53
What was your favorite discovery, invention or similar that happened in your life time?

Mine was the data readings from the recent neutron star collision, more specifically that we were able to detect gravitational waves from it.

Likes collinsmark

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What was your favorite discovery, invention or similar that happened in your life time?

Mine was the data readings from the recent neutron star collision, more specifically that we were able to detect gravitational waves from it.
Actually, they were able to detect BOTH gravitational waves and EM radiation (light) from it, which has never happened before for such a significant event. Many have hailed it as the beginning of gravitational astronomy.

But for me, the most "favorite" discovery in my lifetime is the discovery of high-Tc superconductors. No other discovery in physics can claim to have caused the first ever "Woodstock of Physics".

Zz.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The double helix structure of DNA (and all the implications of it).
"A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid," was first published on Nature on April 25, 1953.

Taking that as its time of discovery means it was in my life time. I was 19 days old!
It made quite an impression on me, but it took a while for it to really sink in.

Likes berkeman and collinsmark