Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your guys view on Sylvester James Gates

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    and his work...especially his work on Adinkra symbols and computer codes

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    does anyone know?

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    I don't know about him or his work exactly, He's definitely a reputable physicist, and is pretty much known now for his quantum error correcting presentation online.

Despite not knowing about him too much personally, i know a little bit of the theories him and his colleagues like to play around with. They don't seem to be very present online for the general public, simply because it's all very theoretical, but i found a nice gem about quantum error correcting that you might find interesting :

Is Spacetime a Quantum Error-Correcting Code? | John Preskill

And If you don't have time to watch the video, scroll through these lecture notes :
    http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/entangled-c15/preskill/pdf/Preskill_Entangled15Conf_KITP.pdf

And if you're an expert who likes to read the scientific paper equivalent you can read this entry:
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.06237v2.pdf

PS.
    As a side note, of my personal opinion on Gates and his theories, I believe that physicists are very heavily moving into and exploring the holographic principle, which is the idea that the universe is just a huge hologram on a 2d sheet of stuff outside the "boundaries" of our observable universe. Now I truncated the description, but essentially, a lot of things are beginning to point in this general direction.

Part of this holographic way of seeing things, is how information, in particular quantum information is handled when dealing with stuff like black-holes. This is where computer science, and quantum computation comes into play, in which black-holes have strikingly similar features to systems that act like computers (quantum computers) and holograms.

So far some features hypothesized by these models include quantum complexity, quantum logic gating, and of course quantum error correcting.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
    He's stated a few times that his research found what resembles computer code at extremely small special dimensions. He did not expand upon simulation theory, although many others seemed to run with it.

6. Nov 16, 2015 #5
    Is this the modern physics version of Plato's Cave?

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    Well, In a way, yes. Although it would be sort of the opposite. Let's say you and I are chained up in that cave, we would see not shadows on the wall, but we would see a picture of reality "as it is" on the surface (humans walking around, flowers, trees etc...) but what's really on the surface, would be a world of shadows, and mixed up random noise. It would literally be that weird.

The holographic theory is a bit more abstract then that, but essentially the holographic principle states that all 3 dimensional information can be described by 2 dimensional information located on the boundary's of that 3 dimensional system. For example, let us take the house you are currently reading this PF forum on. everything in front of you, behind you, even inside of you, can be described by a set of "voxels", which is essentially the volume of the house your in.

But all the information needed to describe you and everything in that house, can also be described by the "pixels" on the surface of the house's interior walls. or rather, the surface area.

This is basically the behavior Black holes exhibit upon current theoretical deconstruction of how they absorb matter, and we figure that if it applies to black-holes, it could indeed apply to everything. When matter falls into a black-hole, it's information content is smeared out across the entire horizon. sort of like white noise, randomly distributed across it's surface.

8. Nov 16, 2015 #7

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Google "one thousand and one lessons in supersymmetry"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook