What jobs can I get with the following degrees

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degrees Jobs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
torquerotates
Messages
207
Reaction score
0
Math and Physics. Right now I'm a math major but I might switch to physics. what type of jobs are there for these degrees? Besides being a professor of course.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A strong background in these subjects is good preparation for a lot of things, if not direct training for them. It seems to rely a lot on the individual's ingenuity in acquiring experience relevant to what they want to do.
 
torquerotates said:
Math and Physics. Right now I'm a math major but I might switch to physics. what type of jobs are there for these degrees? Besides being a professor of course.

Well, you could become a physicist.

marlon
 
Depends on how far you are planning to take your education...
 
You would find more job opportunities if you are flexible to switch to other career fields, such as financing, management, accounting, etc. Unfortunately, pure science won't bring food on the table.

The only other option is research, for which you will find much more opportunities in China and India because many of the new (industrial) research centers are outsourced there.
 
Kinda like asking, "what can I do with a college degree?" A lot, or maybe nothing, for many different people, in many different places, for a wide range of possible incomes.
 
You would find more job opportunities if you are flexible to switch to other career fields, such as financing, management, accounting, etc. Unfortunately, pure science won't bring food on the table.

That exactly what I was wondering. So by flexiblity you mean that if I have a math degree, its still possible to apply for a job in engineering?
 
Depends on how far you are planning to take your education...

probably just a BS or MS in math or physics. But I'm considering a terminal degree in medicine or pharmacy.
 
nebuqalia said:
Unfortunately, pure science won't bring food on the table.

I don't understand this comment. There are tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of pure scientists around the world who obviously aren't starving. Many who make a living doing pure science frequent this forum, including me. Some actually make a pretty penny. I think your statement is overly pessimistic.