What kind of fiction do you like?

• Thread starter EUROPE1
  • Start date
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
ironically i worked in a public library for nearly 4 years, and i didn't enjoy fiction as much as i enjoyed non-fiction. as a kid, i enjoyed the chronicles of narnia by c.s. lewis, many books by madeline l'engle, and loved roald dahl books. currently, i am reading to my children "charlie and the chocolate factory" and it brings back many memories.

typically i like sci-fi fantasy books, but there are so many, i don't know which author to start with. my husband cherishes phillip k dick books and urges me to read his stuff. there are so many sci-fi paperbacks that are of mediocre quality out there that i just don't want to waste my time. any suggestions?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well, since you are into sci-fi/fantasy, Orson Scott Card is great.
I very much enjoyed "Ender's Game" (sci-fi), and his alternate American history Alvin the maker (fantasy)

bored of the rings- by the Harvard Lampoon inc

arildno said:
Well, since you are into sci-fi/fantasy, Orson Scott Card is great.
I very much enjoyed "Ender's Game" (sci-fi), and his alternate American history Alvin the maker (fantasy)
Have you read Speaker for the Dead? It has this sense of beauty and mystery which is a 180 degree turn from Ender's Game. Also - Ender's Shadow is fun - the same story as Ender's Game but told from Bean's point of view. I actually prefer it to Ender's Game.

Philip K Dick and Stanislaw Lem are two other sci-fi guys worth reading.

Outside of sci-fi, I highly recommend Garcia Marquez and Borges to everyone. One Hundred Years of Solitude is a classic. Looking forward to reading Garcia Marquez's autobiography - bought it a year ago, but been too busy to read it.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay will be the next fiction book I'll read once I finish this f'in degree. Too many books to read, too little time.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It depends on the circumstances. If I have a nice weekend to relax and enjoy any book of my choosing, I like psychological thrillers, mysteries, sometimes science fiction, and a few romance authors (I tend to read more of those the longer it's been since my last date :rolleyes:). If I'm stuck in an airport, absolutely anything on the shelf I haven't read before! :biggrin:

I'll read most anything short of some fantasy stuff, epic Russian novels, and neoclassical British ones. I prefer reading futuristic/ scifi stuff myself.

I have a favorite book. _Deus Irae_ by Philip K. Dick and Roger Zelazny.

No, well, that was my favorite book. Now that I think back on it I think it is not my favorite book. I guess I do not have a favorite book anymore. But I do recommend reading _Deus Irae_.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values
Robert M. Pirsig

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Tom Wolfe

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:
A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
Hunter S. Thompson, Ralph Steadman (Illustrator)

Not that I condone that behavior. Well not anymore at least. :biggrin:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
arildno said:
"Doll's house" . . . sucks
:yuck: :grumpy: :mad:
I second your opinion arildno.

I had to read it freshman year at university.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Has anyone read Asimov's "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation"? The style is clearly different from the first three books, which were written much earlier. I also very much enjoyed "Foundation's Edge" - very clever.

I would hope someone makes some high quality movies from the series.

Last edited:
I've read Prelude to Foundation. I didn't like it so much. It was too practiced and it mostly covered old news.

I have also probably read Foundation's Edge--refresh my memory of what stage in the saga that is.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Foundation's Edge is the last one.

FROM THE PUBLISHER
At last, the costly and bitter war between the two Foundations had come to an end. The scientists of the First Foundation had proved victorious; and now they retum to Hari Seldon's long-established plan to build a new Empire that the Second Foundation is not destroyed after all-and that its still-defiant survivors are preparing their revenge. Now the two exiled citizens of the Foundation-a renegade Councilman and the doddering historian-set out in search of the mythical planet Earth. . .and proof that the Second Foundation still exists. Meanwhile someone-or something-outside of both Foundations sees to be orchestrating events to suit its own ominous purpose. Soon representatives of both the First and Second Foundations will find themselves racing toward a mysterious world called Gaia and a final shocking destiny at the very end of the universe!

Also three good books by Paulo Coelho (Brazilian writer, books translated).

The Alchemist
Pilgrimage
The Fifth Mountain (intense)

Evo
Mentor
Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan.

The Lord of the Flies, William Goldings;
The House of the Souls, Elizabeth Aliende;

Danger
Gold Member
Davorak said:
Douglas Adams-Need I say more?
'Nuff said.