What kind of food do astronauts eat?

I think that's one of those things that lost popularity with the space crowd and found use elsewhere. In this case, I believe it became pretty popular with troops stationed in tropical lands. More recently it's been popular among backpackers. You'll find freeze dried ice-cream in most any outdoor gear store. I like to take some along anytime I'm leading a trip with newbie backpackers. Freeze-dried ice cream + water + strawberries makes for a neat dessert after a long day of trudging through hills and woods.
Oh don't get me wrong, as a kid I thought it was the coolest thing extant, and as you say now, it's a fantastic snack and even addition to trail mix. I hadn't thought to rehydrate it, but I'll have to give that a whirl.

@Physics girl phd: Nor should it, but Tang? Really?! I never could stand powdered drink mixes of any kind... yet I like slushies... clearly it's a matter of what we have as kids, and no virtue of taste. :rofl:

Of course, the biggest problem in space is not food, but water. What good is all that freeze dried stuff if you can't reconstitute it. However, water adds too much weight to the payload. So they use powdered water. It's a two step process. First you reconstitute the water, then the ice cream. You don't want to know how they reconstitute the water though.

Of course, the biggest problem in space is not food, but water. What good is all that freeze dried stuff if you can't reconstitute it. However, water adds too much weight to the payload. So they use powdered water. It's a two step process. First you reconstitute the water, then the ice cream. You don't want to know how they reconstitute the water though.
...Sorry, I was just 'taking the dog for a walk'... what were saying about water? :wink:

jtbell

Mentor
Does anybody else remember those TV commercials for Tang, "the breakfast drink of astronauts?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWghCdIqedA

Does anybody else remember those TV commercials for Tang, "the breakfast drink of astronauts?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWghCdIqedA
You're not going to like the answer...

...yes... in shows about 'old commercials'. :redface:

Still, it almost makes me want to try Tang again, despite the fact I don't believe my tongue or olfactory bulb recovered by my first try.

@Physics girl phd: Nor should it, but Tang? Really?! I never could stand powdered drink mixes of any kind... yet I like slushies... clearly it's a matter of what we have as kids, and no virtue of taste. :rofl:
Truly haven't tasted the stuff in years, and I'm sure I'd dislike it... but I remember my sister drinking at least two glasses a day. Surely there's not a bit of goodness nutrition-wise in it, except perhaps vitamin C.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving