Sex determination based on food availability

In summary, the common reed frog and Desert Greenland Whiptail lizard exhibit sex determination based on food availability and the presence of predators can also play a role. In certain animals, when resources are scarce, mothers give birth to fewer males due to female biology suppressing male survival in the womb during tough times. This phenomenon has been observed in Turtles as well, where egg temperature determines sex. However, some creatures like Rotifers do not have their sex determined by external factors, indicating a genetic basis for sex determination.
mark!
[Mentor Note -- Merged accidental double-thread-start]

In which animals is sex determination based on either food availability.

Females of the Common reed frog have shown to exhibit a sex change, which is thought to occur due to low male density in the environment, so that's not quite what I mean.

other animals, when resources are scarce, mothers give birth to fewer males than normal.

Then there's the Desert Greenland Whiptail lizard, who displays parthenogenesis, but when does it do that? How does the environment affect internal biology, such as the presence of predators?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
In which animals is sex determination based on food availability?
And as a side question: In which animals is sex determination based on the presence of predators?

Let me elaborate on both questions.
Females of the common reed frog have shown to exhibit a sex change, which is thought to occur due to low male density in the environment, so that's not quite what I mean.
Then there's the Desert Greenland Whiptail lizard, who displays parthenogenesis. But why/how/when does it do that? How does the environment affect internal biology, such as the presence of predators? Does such presence affect anything to any animal?

In this movie, it says that: "In certain animals, when resources are scarce, mothers give birth to fewer males than normal. Somehow, female biology suppresses boy survival in the womb during tough times, and boost it when times are good.".
Why would that be so? What does food availability have to do with sex determination?

So yes, I'm asking 2 question, but taken together, I'm actually after 1 question: what does sex determination have to do with any threat external to the womb?

mark! said:
In which animals is sex determination based on food availability?
And as a side question: In which animals is sex determination based on the presence of predators?

Let me elaborate on both questions.
Females of the common reed frog have shown to exhibit a sex change, which is thought to occur due to low male density in the environment, so that's not quite what I mean.
Then there's the Desert Greenland Whiptail lizard, who displays parthenogenesis. But why/how/when does it do that? How does the environment affect internal biology, such as the presence of predators? Does such presence affect anything to any animal?

In this movie, it says that: "In certain animals, when resources are scarce, mothers give birth to fewer males than normal. Somehow, female biology suppresses boy survival in the womb during tough times, and boost it when times are good.".
Why would that be so? What does food availability have to do with sex determination?

So yes, I'm asking 2 question, but taken together, I'm actually after 1 question: what does sex determination have to do with any threat external to the womb?

This is interesting. Trivers work features in Dawkins books.

Diet.

https://academic.oup.com/biolreprod/article/71/4/1063/2666975

I would look at Turtles too not diet, egg Temperature determines sex.

These creatures are fascinating, I don't think you can mention sex and organisms without mentioning these.
One Jim has mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotifer

Likes Astranut
pinball1970 said:
Diet.
Sex determination NOT due to external/environmental factors, then?

Last edited:
mark! said:
Sex determination NOT due to external/environmental factors, then?
If it is not external then it is genetic

1. How does food availability affect sex determination in animals?

Food availability can have a significant impact on sex determination in animals. In species with temperature-dependent sex determination, the amount and quality of food consumed by the mother during gestation can influence the temperature of the developing embryos, ultimately determining their sex. In other species, food availability can affect hormone levels, which can in turn influence the development of reproductive organs and ultimately determine an animal's sex.

2. Are there any specific foods that can influence the sex of an animal?

While there is some evidence that certain foods may have an effect on sex determination, there is no conclusive research to support the idea that specific foods can determine an animal's sex. In most cases, it is the overall nutritional status and availability of food that plays a role in sex determination, rather than specific types of food.

3. Can changes in food availability lead to changes in an animal's sex?

Yes, changes in food availability can potentially lead to changes in an animal's sex. This is particularly true in species with temperature-dependent sex determination, where a change in the temperature of the developing embryos can result in a shift in the sex ratio of offspring. In other species, changes in food availability may affect hormone levels and lead to changes in the development of reproductive organs, ultimately determining an animal's sex.

4. Is sex determination based on food availability a common phenomenon in the animal kingdom?

Sex determination based on food availability is not uncommon in the animal kingdom. It is seen in a variety of species, including reptiles, fish, and some mammals. However, it is not the only factor that influences sex determination in animals, and there are many other mechanisms, such as genetic and environmental factors, that also play a role in determining an animal's sex.

5. Can humans manipulate food availability to control the sex of animals?

In some cases, humans can manipulate food availability to control the sex of animals. This is often seen in agricultural practices, where farmers may adjust the diet of livestock to influence the sex ratio of offspring. However, it is important to note that this method is not always reliable and can have unintended consequences on the health and well-being of the animals. Additionally, manipulating the sex of wild animals through food availability is not ethical and should not be practiced.