1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of higher math do I need?

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    What kind of higher mathematics do I need to take in order to understand things like the volume of a sphere changing periodically with time? I know the generalized equation for a sphere is x2+y2+z2=r2, but how would time become involved?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    You'd be surprised how much you can do with just basic calculus.

For a sphere in three dimensional space of radius ##r##, the volume ##V## is given by ##V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3##. To find the change in volume over time, I would say that we have to solve the differential equation ##\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\right]\frac{dr}{dt}=4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}##.

4. May 19, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would just need calculus. An example of volume changing with time would be an inflating balloon.

5. May 19, 2013 #4
    hmm ok thanks. what about bessel functions, calc also?

6. May 19, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculus is the basis of all analysis. You normally wouldn't encounter Bessel functions until you take a differential equations, partial differential equations, or an engineering math course, all of which require calculus as a prerequisite.

7. May 20, 2013 #6
    Time to brush up on some math and get another math course methinks :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook