Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of higher math do I need?

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    What kind of higher mathematics do I need to take in order to understand things like the volume of a sphere changing periodically with time? I know the generalized equation for a sphere is x2+y2+z2=r2, but how would time become involved?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    You'd be surprised how much you can do with just basic calculus.

For a sphere in three dimensional space of radius ##r##, the volume ##V## is given by ##V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3##. To find the change in volume over time, I would say that we have to solve the differential equation ##\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{d}{dr}\left[\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\right]\frac{dr}{dt}=4\pi r^2 \frac{dr}{dt}##.

4. May 19, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would just need calculus. An example of volume changing with time would be an inflating balloon.

5. May 19, 2013 #4
    hmm ok thanks. what about bessel functions, calc also?

6. May 19, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculus is the basis of all analysis. You normally wouldn't encounter Bessel functions until you take a differential equations, partial differential equations, or an engineering math course, all of which require calculus as a prerequisite.

7. May 20, 2013 #6
    Time to brush up on some math and get another math course methinks :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook