What kind of motion is this? (bicycle velocity vectors)

In summary: The LaTeX Guide is pretty straightforward. It can also help if you see how some of your equations can be constructed using LaTeX. Remember that a double-# delimiter is used at the start and end of each in-line equation, and a double-$ is used at the start and end of each math line that is on its own (not in-line with text).In summary, the bicycle can reach its destination by moving in a vector direction with a certain velocity.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A body is due east at 30meters of the pole at which instant it has velocity in south direction. After 30sec it’s position is 40m due north of pole at which instant it’s velocity vector is in east direction. Both velocity vectors are 10m/s.
Relevant Equations
Delta r=r2-r1
v1=v2=10 m/s
How the heck the bicycle reach from point A to point B with that velocity vector directions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question? I can think of one type of motion that will do this, but without further contraints, it seems like there are infinitely many solutions...

berkeman said:
can think of one type of motion that will do this
Which one

As I said, the problem seems ill-defined. Can you post the whole question word-for-word?

berkeman said:
As I said, the problem seems ill-defined. Can you post the whole question word-for-word?

It would be better if you could post it right-side-up...

berkeman said:
It would be better if you could post it right-side-up...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
So the question is simpler than what you ask in the thread title. All you have to do is the vector subtractions, etc. to figure out the questions. Can you show your work on calculating parts (a) and (b)?

1635791480234.png

berkeman said:
So the question is simpler than what you ask in the thread title. All you have to do is the vector subtractions, etc. to figure out the questions. Can you show your work on calculating parts (a) and (b)?

View attachment 291560

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 66
Please post your work in LaTeX. Thank you.

berkeman said:
Please post your work in LaTeX. Thank you.
how do i setup latex. please provide a easy way. i don't really understand the guide.

rudransh verma said:
how do i setup latex. please provide a easy way. i don't really understand the guide.

The LaTeX Guide is pretty straightforward. It can also help if you see how some of your equations can be constructed using LaTeX. Remember that a double-# delimiter is used at the start and end of each in-line equation, and a double-$ is used at the start and end of each math line that is on its own (not in-line with text).

Take this equation from the 2nd page you posted an image of above:

1635863242678.png

It's kind of hard for me to read, but I think it says this:

$$\Delta \vec v = \frac{40 \hat j - 30 \hat i}{30}$$

You can click "Reply" in the lower right corner of my post to see what the LaTeX is that makes that equation.

(Note that if your post is the first LaTeX in the thread, you have to refresh your browser page after posting to get the LaTeX to render)

Likes phinds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a bicycle?

The velocity of a bicycle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This will give you the average velocity for the entire journey.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a bicycle?

The velocity of a bicycle can be affected by factors such as the terrain, wind speed and direction, the weight of the rider and the bike, and the condition of the bicycle's tires.

4. Is velocity a vector or a scalar quantity?

Velocity is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. This means that the direction of an object's motion is just as important as its speed in determining its velocity.

5. How does the velocity of a bicycle change during motion?

The velocity of a bicycle can change during motion due to acceleration or deceleration. Acceleration occurs when the velocity increases, while deceleration occurs when the velocity decreases. The change in velocity can also be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance.