Calculating average velocity for this kind of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a body moving at different velocities and angles along a straight path. The goal is to find the average velocity of the body. The conversation includes a calculation and comparison of the average velocity obtained by the person and the correct answer. The person's calculation involves finding the average component velocities of the resultant average velocity, taking into account the two different velocities and angles along the path. The correct answer is 46.3 km/h, and the conversation also discusses the importance of the process used to reach this answer.
CherryWine

Homework Statement

For the first half of a straightly traveled path which is α=60° from some reference line, a body is moving with a velocity of v1=72 km/h. During the second half of a straightly traveled path, the body is moving with an angle of β=30° with a velocity of v2=36 km/h.What is the average velocity?

Homework Equations

All translational kinematic.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first of all I've calculated x and y components of the both velocities. Then, I've found average component velocities of the resultant average velocity needed (I've done this bearing in mind that the body is moving with one velocity for the half of the total path, and with another velocity for the second half of the total path). I've obtained the average velocity as 43.55 km/h, however the answer in the says that the average velocity would be 46.3 km/h. So if you could solve the problem yourself and tell me what you get as the result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us in detail how you found your answer. I get 46.36

To be exact, it is
$$24\sqrt{2+\sqrt{3}} km/h$$

It is indeed. But the numerical value isn't all that interesting. What is important is the path toward the correct answer.
Now, dear Cherry, what did steps did you take ?

1. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, you divide the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula is: average velocity = displacement / time.

2. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity is the overall rate of change, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific point in time.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if a car travels 10 km east and then 5 km west, its average velocity would be -5 km/h.

4. What is the unit for average velocity?

The unit for average velocity is typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

5. Can average velocity be greater than instantaneous velocity?

Yes, average velocity can be greater than instantaneous velocity. This can happen when the object changes its velocity at different points in time. For example, if a car is traveling at 60 km/h for half an hour and then speeds up to 100 km/h for the remaining half an hour, its average velocity would be greater than its instantaneous velocity at any given point during the trip.