What kind of optics are these?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter BlueIntegral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Optics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
BlueIntegral
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I got these for a couple dollars at an electronics flea market. They look like maybe some kind of dichroic lens, but I don't know. Can anyone help identify them? Did I get a good deal for a couple bucks?

Here's the first one. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it's got a slight red tint:
http://i.imgur.com/RvQFLh.jpg
The side has printed on it: 110-0006-RD CVI 211020

Here's one side of the next one:
http://i.imgur.com/1bUII.jpg
And the other side:
http://i.imgur.com/Mtovgh.jpg
The top of the case has a sticker that says
Continuum
Part No:
105-0022, Rev. F
S/N: 2213+2214

I don't know much about optics, but I have a HeNe laser and thought these might be fun to play with. I'd be much obliged to anyone who can help identify.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BlueIntegral said:
I got these for a couple dollars at an electronics flea market. They look like maybe some kind of dichroic lens, but I don't know. Can anyone help identify them? Did I get a good deal for a couple bucks?

Here's the first one.
The side has printed on it: 110-0006-RD CVI 211020

Here's one side of the next one:

The top of the case has a sticker that says
Continuum
Part No:
105-0022, Rev. F
S/N: 2213+2214

I don't know much about optics, but I have a HeNe laser and thought these might be fun to play with. I'd be much obliged to anyone who can help identify.

They are likely dielectric filters- CVI is now part of Melles Griot, and they did a lot of optical coatings. An item similar to the last one turned up here:

http://www.bmius.com/p-31144-contin...-rev-a-dielectric-laser-mirror-1-damaged.aspx

Was it a good deal? I guess that depends on if you think it was a good deal or not :) Have fun!