What kind of parties do you guys have?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
all these responces to a thread i made on a whim and no responces to the thread im actually curious about :(

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You never know what threads will take off around here.

turbo
Gold Member
Very true. Well, generally, just being adults works for that too.

:yuck: Sounds like a hangover in a bucket, or worse! :yuck:

I did go to a March Madness party once (neuroscientists and computer geeks, not physicists, in attendance...I'm not a physicist and have only recently begun hanging around with some :wink:) where we watched old Simpsons episodes while eating lots of snackfood everyone brought (dips, chips, etc.) and only realized later we never bothered to watch the game. :biggrin:

Playing pool, card games, or making up new rules to board games is fun too. Some have dancing. Oh, or there was the one picnic/party where we played Calvin ball (you have to check out the old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips if you don't know what I'm talking about). And then there were the pool parties with skinny dipping after dark. (I think the physicists need to learn something from us biologists about how to throw a good party. :biggrin:)
Not guaranteed to be a hangover party. I used to play rhythm/lead guitar and sing in some rock/blues bands that were pretty popular around campus and we could crank some rock and blues without drawing the cops (small amps, hot guitars).

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
We used to do parties that were heard miles away - on Rice Campus in the middle of Houston. We took 8 Advent Speakers stacked in Quad with Phase Linear Pre-amp and Amp set. We had to ice the heat sink :rofl: - and we'd Rock out with various Albums. :tongue2:

These days I prefer quieter gatherings. :tongue:

My late friend, Alan, had in his basement 24 large Advent speakers stacked alternately three high (12 on a side), driven by two MacIntosh 2300 amps, conservatively rated at 4 x 350 watts total.

Great place to burn out in those wild days. The bass could saw you in half - or knock you down - without the treble damaging hearing. He would play only rock albums of high quality recording.

It's one of the few chances there are to hit on other physicists. You're so hot you make plasma look like liquid nitrogen

lol, it is normal to a physicist to get drunk (I mean not too drunk) once a week?

Neumann had a great social life.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
physicists are people who think it is cool to serve pure alcohol at parties, with maybe grapefruit juice, as i recall.

mathematicians on the other hand as i have mentioned hardly know what parties are.

radou
Homework Helper
I either get together with my girlfriend, wash clothes, listen to music or play word games on weekend nights. Yes, I'm 48.
Sounds familiar, except for the girlfriend part. I'm 23. :tongue:

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
All my parties look like this
Party.jpg

physicists are people who think it is cool to serve pure alcohol at parties, with maybe grapefruit juice, as i recall.

mathematicians on the other hand as i have mentioned hardly know what parties are.
That doesn't mean we don't drink though...

Mk
you're missing out. social interaction is a wonderful part of life that should be pursued for its own sake just like science. i implore to check it out
Is this another thread where the small band of non-partiers has to defend themselves against the partiers?

I hate parties.

Especially ones with drinking, and, well, other things :smile: I favor other forms of social interaction than parties. Just because we don't like parties doesn't mean we're social outcasts? Well, probably a lot of us are...

Is this another thread where the small band of non-partiers has to defend themselves against the partiers?

I hate parties.

Especially ones with drinking, and, well, other things :smile: I favor other forms of social interaction than parties. Just because we don't like parties doesn't mean we're social outcasts? Well, probably a lot of us are...
that guy was saying he's a social outcast and that is what motivated me to post that. I as well hate parties because most of them are just a bunch of people standing around in their own cliques drinking. that is why i was wondering what happens at the uncommon parties.

Man... just yesterday, my friends an I sneaked out of our houses at 12, drove to the nearest "theka" (booze shop), bought rum n beer, and got plastered till 3 am in the back garden.... we were celebrating our break ups, and its the most fun I've had in ages....

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
just to make one thing clear: some girls think it is cool to go out with a clueless dork mathematician, not a lot, but some.

e.g. there are some on tv right now, listing their phone numbers right on the screen.

just to make one thing clear: some girls think it is cool to go out with a clueless dork mathematician, not a lot, but some.

e.g. there are some on tv right now, listing their phone numbers right on the screen.
you married mathwonk?

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Well parties can vary...

Some of the parties i've been to:

Pool Party: We went to a house with a big pool. We drunk alcohol on the pool, outside the pool. We talked, We listened to music, We danced, We ate mexican food. It was at the night.

Club Party: We drunk alcohol, We danced and talked. I don't think you could listen to the music.

Hawaiian Theme Party: We did limbo, we danced, we drunk alcohol and we talked.

What else is there for party? It's just having a good time, have a laugh, meet chicks, etc...

What i like most of parties is meeting new people!, so i can always have something new to say!.